• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

What Happened To The Lake House In Boldmere

All my Christmases would come in one day if there was a photo..
  2. C

Hi Lady Penelope: You are doing amazingly well and I really do appreciate it. All the information you gathered about the three houses seems to back up everything I thought and that the house was there. Looking at the original maps I think the first house on the right in Lakehouse Road would be...
  3. C

It might be I'm prepared to trying anything to get to the bottom of it. Do you know if they have online information as down here in Devon I am limited and appreciate the help that everyone is giving
  4. C

ps Sorry I just spotted the file Pedrocut uploaded and yes that is the house I looked at on Google if go satellite again on it and go over head you can see the similarities of the drive
  5. C

Hi Penelope..Benjamin joined the 15th Hussars in 1836 and was a private he rose through the ordinary ranks to Troop Sergeant Major (and would have looked like the picture I have posted of Troop SM of the 15th at the time when he was) he then made it to Regimental Sergeant Major. Then he became a...
  6. C

Hi Pedrocut..Yes I'm sure it was his return home as he had spent 33 years in the army and he retired in 1869 as a Captain on half pay..so it fits....
  7. C

Pedrocut..Hi I can state for a fact that it was not our Benjamin Holloway and the show because he was serving in the cavalry in India up until 1869. Lady Penelope: Yes that is a big question but it is now looking like that wasn't all he had as there seems to be reference to other properties in...
  8. C

Hi Thanks..Yes it is a useful map and I have used it before to locate the site..
  9. C

Yes very possible my wife is going through the will which at the moment which is quite long and we should be able to figure it out soon..I'm guessing that was the case as W. Randle is living in it when she was only 11 years old..Watch this space
  10. C

Spot on...if you take a look on Google maps for Lake House Road and click on the satellite image then zoom in over the three houses and you will see what is left of the circular drive which you can see on the 1913 map
  11. C

Hi To all...Lady Penelope is correct I have all the information regarding the dates for the people etc, my main quest is to find what happened to the Lake House.. It was there from around 1826 to around 1935. As I have now read Benjamin's will I can fill in some more pieces for our family...
  12. C

ps Im just off to read his Will which has just arrived, will let you know if there's anything interesting
  13. C

Hi again Lady P, yes I suppose it does sound a bit romantic, I wonder if Sarah was with him for all the years in India. I find the more you look the more questions. For instance before Benjamin joined the army I have him and his family living in Deritend which I think was not a well off area...
  14. C

Hi Penelope Just read your link. I actually have a very very vague memory of the shop in Erdington. It apparently used to be in Sheep Street which became Station Road. My family's name for that shop was Tilley and though I can't remember exactly where the shop is/was, as I was quite small, but...
  15. C

Hi thanks for the link. I have seen this map but looking at it again I just figured out how to use the tools on there. I measured the map and did the same with the modern houses on the site and the measurements of the main part of the house appear to have beeen 35m x 12m, and the three houses on...
  16. C

Hi The building and demolition of the house is my final part of this bit I am looking into. Sadly I don't have a clue who built it, what it looked like (apart from the circular drive), that's what is so frustrating because it was obviously there and there has to be some record somewhere. I have...
  17. C

Hi Yes I have looked into Lake House road houses and used a little trick I picked up from another site. That is to go onto a property insurance site (I think it was esure) and fill in the basic information for the house as if you were insuring it etc and at some point it will come to you with...
Back