• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. V

Recycling, reclaiming and salvaging of yesteryear

Talking about horse and cart deliveries. During the 40s,50s and 60s my aunt and uncle had a watch repair shop in Station Road Stechford opposite The Bull, their home was at the back of the property. I used to visit regularly to play with my cousins and at the back of their home were the...
  2. V

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Hi thanks for that.
  3. V

Recycling, reclaiming and salvaging of yesteryear

:)Does anyone remember the pig bins? I remember we had one across the road and my mom and neighbours would put waste food, veg peelings etc. into it, (an early day food re-cycling.) I also remember how they used to stink in the summer! Good old days eh.:rolleyes::)
  4. V

Does anyone remember the Aish family? Micky Aish, and a cousin I think his name was Kenny . I seem to remember they used to live in the Aston Church Road area. Micky was quite small in stature with very blonde hair. This was during the late 50's.
  5. V

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

The club at The Swan Yardley was called Bloomers. I used to go there every week - Fabulous :)
  6. V

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

The club at Yardley was Bloomers
  7. V

Cafes in and around Birmingham

KUNZLES, corner of Union Street and Corporation Street. I think Sainsbury's are on that site now. My Mom used to take me there as a child, all the waitresses wore black dresses with a starched white apron and little white hat. The toilets I remember were spotless. There was a lady sitting at a...
  8. V

Brummie sayings & language

My family have always refered to each as "our mom", "our Dad", "our John" etc. Is this a Brummie thing ?
  9. V

the cross guns.washwood heath

Hi - yes you're quite right it was Diane Griffin. I remember your sister Dorene too. A lad took me into the pub when I was 14, the first time I'd ever been in one. I think I had a lemonade. As you say happy days!
  10. V

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

Hi Stan I lived in William Cook Rd, which was a couple of roads up from Foley. I remember there was an outdoor on the corner of Foley Rd and Morley Road, my Dad would send me there for his bottle on Nut Brown - I was under ten .....the good old days when anything went. There was a shop on the...
  11. V

the cross guns.washwood heath

I went Ward End Hall school with a girl that lived at the Cross Guns during 50s/60s. Her name was Diane can't remember her sir name.
  12. V

Record shops in Bham

I think there were 3 booths and a couple of hoods on the wall. There was this woman who would come in everyday and listen to the same record (I say woman she was about 18 or 19) but I was only 16, anyway this really got on my nerves and one day I said "what again", well she hit the roof and...
  13. V

Hi Doger - I only have a photo of Pat & Terry, but I don't know whether you are allowed to show a photo of a third party on these forums. I can ask P & T and see if they would agree. Spk soon VG
  14. V

Broad Street Hospital

I too went to the Orthopedic in the 1950's. I remember having to pick marbles up with my toes. Also, having wet rubber sheets wrapped around my legs and electric cables being pushed inside sheets, the cables were connected to a machine of some sort, the nurse would throw a switch on the...
  15. V

I knew someone called John Price. I was at school with him. There was also a family called Jackon my mom was friends with them. How long have you lived in Cornwall? I'm in Somerset. Do you miss Brum? regards
  16. V

Hi I was "little Vicky Brown", not so little now. :P No I don't remember Margaret Cresswell. Who was she? I'd love to see the photo you mentioned if you can dig it out. Dad used to have some of him and some mates on motor bikes - I think they'd gone to a sort of rally. I'm sure Tommy was...
  17. V

Hi I think you may be mixing my mom up with someone else, she was a tall lady but she was at Thornton Rd approx 1956 - 1982. So that was after your time. Yes, the flying chalk and the blackboard rubbers too ! Regards
  18. V

Bye the way my dad was Frank Brown and we lived in William Cook Road, which was almost opposite St Agathas.
  19. V

Yes I'm sure my Mom & Dad had the same photo, where there were a large group of people posing for a photograph with all the children sitting on the floor at the front, I bet you're husband and I were on it - I think it must have been a works outing. Ask him if he recalls the name Billy Degg...
  20. V

Hi Was his dad called Tommy ? If it was his dad and my dad were friends. I think they worked together at the Gas Board. I can remember going to a party at his house. Your husband may remember my mom Mrs Brown, she worked at Thornton Road School, she was a dinner lady and she would look after...
Back