• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

As apprentices, we all went to college, for me it was Matthew Boulton College first the for the last 3 years it was the Polytechnic at Perry Barr. At Perry Barr, the last lesson of the day 6:00 to 9:00 was drawing and we had a tutor that worked in the drawing office at Turners, his name was...
  2. M

Sorry this is so many years late but not seen aloof the comments. I remember Charlie Moseley, he was a Progress clerk, chasing all of the jobs around the department. I remember once he was walking to work and got conned out of some money by a stranger, this person said he knew Charlie and talked...
  3. M

Does anyone remember Derek Teale, he worked on the ground floor in between, the die cast shop and C department. Derek was the Bandsaw operator and would cut the steel to however you required. As I recall he was very good at his job. He was a giant of a man and I think his dad also a very big man...
  4. M

Freddie Barlow was my first foreman after I left the apprentice section. Cyril Johnson and Fred Scarf were my mentors. Freddie Barlow had a red Ford Cortina and he took me to Warwick on a Saturday to try out a moulding die for a Swing pedal bin. Lovely man.
  5. M

Hi Carolina, video was great, he has not changed much and looked really well. Thanks for sending it.
  6. M

Hi Carolina, good to hear that, he must be an age now as I am 66 and he was a good few years older than me then. They were a good bunch always good for a laugh, usually at my expense.
  7. M

I remember the name but can't recall the man. I remember you Paul, you used to have a little sideline, selling cigarettes and other things. I was on the next bench to you nearest the door into next door. Next to us was Jack Perks and another, could have been Billy Lancaster, then there was Brian...
  8. M

The man who was labourer on the Apprentice section was called Len Harvey, nice chap, probably in his 70,s when he used to clean up there. Les Lloyd was a funny man and for a man that worked in a factory, Les never swore, but if he heard the apprentices swear he would stick his own words in like...
  9. M

Also when I was in Despatch, Dave was in the Drawing Dept under Ted Pountney. Roger I think was in the Pattern shop. Trevor was in the press shop wher Arther Cox was one of the bosses. Rob Cooke and Rob Littley worked in the Buying office and the Cost office. We spent about six months in these...
  10. M

Hi Lyn, if he is still alive, I would think that Les Lloyd must be 100 years old by now. I was 15 when I started and Les must have been in his 50,s then. Below the apprentice section was the Maintenance department and on the ground floor, it was the Despatch office then B department. Next door...
  11. M

As new apprentices we all spent the first part of our jobs, working in thr offices. I worked in the despatch office, Norman Sidaway was Manager, with John Vyse and Jim Cox outside. Also 2 ladies, Sandra was the junior and the other lady I think was Maureen. Part of my job was to find the trucks...
  12. M

Hello, just joined this site. I was an apprentice at Turners starting in 1966. 6 of us started, myself, Dave Shepherd, Rob Littley, Rob Cooke, Trevor Webb and Roger Horlick. I clearly remember the apprentice section, run by Les Lloyd, with Pat Richards and for the 2nd year Dave Warren. From...
Back