• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. F

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

Have just loaned a large collection of family photos and documents from my cousin, one of which shows the Coronation street party for Percy Road, off Foremans Road, Sparkhill (or Greet depending on which end you lived). Hope there are some recognisable faces for someone out there??? Both my...
  2. F

Brummie sayings & language

Used for loosening earwax as I remember..... warm the olive oil bottle in hot water, apply a few drops down yer lughole, and pack out with cotton wool. Voila. Works everytime. Have had the same bottle for 35 years! Regards, Fairport
  3. F

James Mason, Coal Merchant directory listing info

Can anyone help confirm whether there is a directory listing for my grandfather, a James Mason, running a Coal Merchant business from a yard in Winson Green Road in Brum, post 1939'ish if the Brum Electoral Registers are accurate. James Mason was listed as living in Montpelier Street in 1930...
  4. F

Jones Thomas 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Betteley)

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Thank you for taking the time & effort with this update. The search now continues..... Kindest regards, Fairport
  5. F

Birmingham Anglers' Association

Is there anyone out there with memories or information on Brummie angling clubs from the 50's and before??? My Dad, Thomas 'Tommy' Jones of 199 Percy Road, Sparkhill, was a very keen angler apparently..... after his death in September 1955 (he died in a car crash whilst on a fishing trip with...
  6. F

Ah, the old currency Bernard! "Six'peneth of chips please" comes to mind from my younger days..... and 'some scrats', they being the bits of batter off the fried fish, which were a freebie if you asked politely. The only thing I remember clearly being exactly a penny as a kid was a 'fag and...
  7. F

The 'Offy' or Off Licence (if yo' were posh) phrase was always refered to as 'The Outdoors' in our house..... the entrance to the off licence usually being from an external door seperate to the main pub entrance. The first time I used the 'have yo' got an outdoors round here?' phrase in Bristol...
  8. F

MEM Tyseley

I worked at the MEM in the mid 70's, firstly on the assembly line before moving upstairs in to the stock auditing department for a spell. Worked with 'Big Chris' in the offices and an irishbrummie lad called Sean in the main stores. Still best mates with Chris Hughes who also worked in the...
  9. F

Serck

I too remember going to the Christmas parties from The Serck, though I've no firm idea if I had family connections with the company or not, I just remember enjoying myself every year. Family names were Mason (Grandma) and Jones (Mom, and my late Dad). I suspect it was my Mom who worked there...
  10. F

Birmingham buses

Cheers Mike. I always think the sepia tone adds something to old photos, and even better when it includes a family member as well as a bit of nostalgia. Love your steam photos by the way. First class. We lived close to the West Somerset Railway steam line for many years which is a...
  11. F

Birmingham buses

Have reduced photo size just in case it's too large. Have just searched web and I believe there was a Rosebery Street garage? Regards, Fairport "Just adding a photo of my wifes grandfather, Arthur Whiston, working 'on the buses' in Brum, but sadly no idea of the year involved though probably...
  12. F

Birmingham buses

Re: Bus registrations Just adding a photo of my wifes grandfather, Arthur Whiston, working 'on the buses' in Brum, but sadly no idea of the year involved though probably post war. I'm guessing someone may know more about the garage name on the sign? Kindest regards, Fairport
  13. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Hi Shera. The Heeks link is very interesting as fpound Sarah Ann is still a Mason at the wedding to Isaac Heber Heeks, Q4 1904 Solihull.... so I assume that something either happened to Henry Mason between the...
  14. F

Birmingham Town Hall

Slade definitely played at Brum Town Hall on the 19th November 1972, supported by Thin Lizzy and Suzie Quatro.... approaching the height of the glamrock era I guess? I was sent a great photo of the Town Hall taken in the 60's which I've attached. Happy days. Regards, Fairport
  15. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Makes perfect sense as Lawley Bank and Dawley Bank are both next to Dawley so in reality all were born in the same general area. The only thing that is bugging me throughout my search is that Thomas Jones is...
  16. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Understood. My wifes family name of Whiston has been found under several spellings throughout the 1800s so I know it happens. You really have been a star today. ttfn.
  17. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Harry & Louise Jones' address on Annie Beatrice's 1909 birth certificate is 3, Park Place, Wellington, Salop if that helps in any way. Fairport
  18. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele Sorry to be a pain but was the John Bettley just a typo or the actual spelling on the Census? Fairport.
  19. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele What can I say but thank you Shera. You've been amazing. Kindest regards, Fairport.
  20. F

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele You're working overtime now Shera! Found Q2 1904 second marriage : definitely Mary Kent and not Ruth Barber? On FreeBMD they both appear on the same page/ref 6a1697? Hope can confirm Mary for me...
Back