• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Where is Wellington Street?

In February 1864 reports of a murder in Dartmouth Street in both Aris's Birmingham Gazette and the Birmingham Daily Gazette tell of the murderer, George Hall, going in to "the Wellington Tavern, Wellington Street where he told the landlord and others that he had shot his wife." This time the...
  2. D

Browsing through newspapers in search of my Waterson ancestors I have come across several advertisements in February and March 1862 in the Birmingham Journal for the sale of Leasehold Property in Wellington Street ..."12 houses, in Wellington Street, near the Wellington Inn, Bridge Street...
  3. D

Hockley Hill

I love it! What a crowd of people, no shortage of passing trade ... and the sit-up-and-beg cycles, and lots of straw hats!
  4. D

Hockley Hill

Thanks, Lyn, that is fantastic. I guess the new street front is much further back than the old one, but I have found that in your post back in 2015, #176. No 169, Bannisters, is clear enough with the number painted on the side, and the next one along must be 168, Donald Collins in 1961 ... and...
  5. D

Hockley Hill

Hi Jayell! I see you used to work at Astburys at no 63 ... from the maps it looks as though there are three houses together set back a bit from the road; did you ever take a photo?
  6. D

Hockley Hill

What a fantastic thread this is! I found it yesterday, and went through it then from start to finish; and I've just done so again. My great grandfather John Waterson (son of JW in Wellington Street) lived his life on Hockley Hill starting as a 'chemist and druggist' at no 168 and ending as a...
  7. D

I'm still playing with this! My great great grandfather wasn't there long; he died in 1870, but there are several names that crop up in the next census, and beyond. William Wright, a carpenter, born in Bromsgrove in 1832, and his wife Charlotte are there in Wellington Street in 1861 and in 1871...
  8. D

Thank you, Mike, I was just accepting your first suggestion, but I like the second one as well. Either way it's pretty close to Hockley Hill where their son lived: I have just spent the last three hours reading that fantastic thread ... and am now going back to it!
  9. D

I am following my ancestors, and I find that my great great grandparents, John and Dorothy Waterson, were living in Wellington Street in the 1850s/1860s. She died in 1857 and the burial register from All Saints, Hockley records that she lived at Wellington Street; and the 1861 census has her...
  10. D

Stechford

And here's a picture taken at the same time of a block of houses in Lyttleton Road. They are all still there!
  11. D

Stechford

Here's a picture of Albert Road showing the houses just south of All Saints Church; the picture was taken about 1888 before the church was built; you can see the sloping roof of the chapel that was there before the church. My grandparents lived in the smallest one, next to the church, from 1894...
Back