• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

By the way, I'm going back to the 50's here.
  2. M

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

One of my favourite memories of my life in Irving Street was Speaking Stile Walk. We lived at the bottom of that incline, turn left cross Irving Street and there lived we for 10 years 1950-60. Wright & Platt, The Unicorn. Memories or what. I tried to task Carl Chinn some years back about...
  3. M

Latimer Street Highbury Place & Irving Street The Limes

I lived in Irving Street 1950-60. I don't recall any legit ways of getting from Irving street to Latimer st. But trust me there were more than one unorthodox ways of achieving a way through. As kids one of our many pastimes was bashes. Essentially have a bash at something inherently dangerous...
  4. M

Anti-Catholic riots

Trust me to follow a thread that seemed to Peter out so long ago. I have clear recollections of Father Montgomery and served mass for him on many occasions He was a great man and I I know he moved from St. Peter's at Broad Street up to to a church near the Birchfield road. Great to see so many...
  5. M

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

Bit late with info on this, but we lived over the road from Wight & Platt. They fronted onto Irving Street and if memory serves there was a personel door onto Speaking Stile Walk. (theres a great name for you)
  6. M

Birmingham Accents

A good one on accents. I was taking a load of sanitary goods being delivered to my place by Landon's (he of the old Crown Cinema, Icknield Port Road?? "Where did you use to live" the driver asked of me. I assumed he ment my previous address which was a village just a few miles away. "No" says...
  7. M

Irving Street

Great photo. We lived about 15 houses down from the Dolphin at 185 from about 1950 until 1959. The names and places I recall are endless. This forum is a gem.
  8. M

Old street pics..

Great photo off Broad Street looking towards St Peter's church and school. Attended by me Mick Johnston 1950 - 1956? Also my brother's John and Adrian + sister Mary.
  9. M

Old street pics..

10. M

Whisky A Go Go

Thanks for the info re the Old Contemptibles Bob. Look forward to seeing some old "faces" PS there was a post dealing with some of the sayings up town. This one originated in Margate as far as I'm concerned and it will only have meaning to certain elements. "There's a man in de lake" One...
  11. M

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

St Peters a big part of my life. The inside of that church was magical with its galleries. I was an altar boy there for years. I also attended the school and have a few photos buried away somewhere. I will attempt to find them. so many names flood back. Attended school 1950 - ?55 (was it 5 years...
  12. M

Whisky A Go Go

Great memories on this link. Bobby that photo was one I uploaded after the 2007 reunion. Top left Chris Wolsey, Top right ? Coventry Wal? Bottom left me, bottom right Kenny Fraser. Devastated to learn Chris and Rob are no longer around. That pair were inseparable, and they done their exit in...
Back