• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Brummagemite

Renting Tellies

Many thanks to everybody for all the replies. I was worried I might not get much of a response, so I’m glad to see all the postings everyone’s made. I’d not heard about these tellies with meters on the back, that Morturn and Frothblower talk about, for ten bob coins. My grandparents did have...
  2. Brummagemite

Renting Tellies

Thanks Dave. Sorry, what I meant was anybody remember renting their telly from College Radio on the Square at Weoley Castle? It was next door to the post office there, on the same side as Lawrence’s. Apologies for not making myself clearer. I also don’t know why it was called College Radio...
  3. Brummagemite

Renting Tellies

I saw something on the news the other night about getting televisions on tick, and it reminded me how we used to rent our old telly back in the late 1960s and 1970s. We rented ours from College Radio on Weoley Castle Square, mind I can’t recall how much it was. If it broke we could take in for...
  4. Brummagemite

Dale End

Not sure if this is the right place, but I saw this thread and wondered if anyone knew anything about a Royal Naval recruitment centre in Dale End during the War? My father volunteered for the Navy when he was 18 in 1943, and apparently went down to Dale End to join up.
Back