• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. N

HEATH STREET - Before and After

My Dad worked for Parkers for a short time. His name was Frank Willis and I have a feeling my grandfather David Downing worked for them. I actually met Harold Moult but as I was a snotty kid at the time can't remember too much. He did make me laugh, I remember that much. I used to scrounge lifts...
  2. N

New house 1954

This is me in our new house. We moved from 11 back of 387 Heath Street as part of the slum clearance in 1954. The move was mainly on the back of a lorry which belonged to the rag merchant in Heath Street. Posh we were! The property was a flat at number 1 Gorsymead Grove Northfield. It was ever...
  3. N

Downing/Willis

A shot of my mother Kathleeen Willis nee Downing, Grandad David Downing and my father Frank Willis about 1952 in Heath Street, Winson Green.Seems such a long time ago.
  4. N

Past Family

Hi Astoness, Couldn't attach the file apparently too large for server. It is 24 pages as a PDF.
  5. N

Past Family

A fascinating character, I am a little biased. He used to do his horse bets with his little pencil (Illegally betting) and taught me to read before I went to school . I was no expert at reading but well ahead of the game when I started school. He, when I was about 5 came home from the pub and in...
  6. N

Past Family

Yes and always poor, I think from the photo he remained poor for the rest of his life. We left there in about 1954 as part of the slum clearance and he went to live with relatives in Ladywood. He sadly ended his days in Western Road
  7. N

Past Family

Thanks Astoness, he certainly could tell some stories, married 3 times around 30 children. Sadly a lot died at or immediately after birth. He served in the first World War and was still alive until I was about 8 years old, so I was able to be with him in his later years.
  8. N

Past Family

This is a picture of my Uncle Dennis Downing 1923-2011, My Grandfather David Downing 1868-1956 and my Dad 1926-1969. The photo is taken at approx 381 Heath Street Winson Green about 1952. Just thought people would be interested in these fashion icons
Back