• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. L

Alma Street Junior & Infants

Happy birthday Carol, You are now a member of The Septuagenarian Club! Sending my love and very best wishes Linda x
  2. L

Hi Stephen Hope you enjoy the Forum. I recall a Kenneth Morris at Alma. Would you be related? He lived in Inkerman Street. I too remember John Griffin being a bit of a rascal. I recall a Vera Morris and an Alan Howard. They were in the year above me. Best wishes Linda
  3. L

House that Jack Built

I too had a pair of Cinderella pink plastic glittery shoes! They didn’t last very long did they? The elastic snapped after a few wears! I was desperate for high heels. One of our neighbours Mrs Fox had a granddaughter named Pam. Pam gave me two pairs of her old stilettos. They were size 3. Miles...
  4. L

Happy birthday Carol, wishing you good health and happiness! I always think of you on the 3rd. My dad’s birthday was February 2nd.. I hope you and your family are well? It must be over 20 years since we last liaised. It was on Friends Reunited. I’m so please you found the forum. Phillip...
  5. L

Mr A Hinchliffe Headmaster of Alma Street School Aston
  6. L

Alma Street School Aston Class 11 Mrs Morgan 1964/1965 I recall the following names from this class; in no particular order... Pat and Tina Stevens Joan Mohammed Colin Ali David Ali David Childs Frederick Trowman Louise Johns Jean Willis Anne Jukes Doreen Davies Coleen Hughes Derek Gordon...
  7. L

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

Hi Brummie Dude I love it! It brings back lovely memories of my dear Nan and Grandad. Regards Linda
  8. L

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

Hello again Susan I have copied the following for you from the forum. It was put on by Colinwilliams Guest 1 Hi I remember Mr and Mrs Williams and their shop. They were very nice people. To me as a child they seemed old. However, anyone over 21 was old to me! My mom and dad used the shop...
  9. L

Hi Susan My family and I lived at 125 Alma Street from late 1956- November 1967. I was friendly with Georgina Glenn after starting school from 1959. The era I’m talking about is between 1960 to 1965. I don’t know the surname of the French neighbour. I believe her husband was British. I think...
  10. L

It was desperate measures if bought a ha’penny liquorice stick. Not to my taste then and doubt I would like them now. However back in the day it was something to chew on! I liked Chix bubble gum. They were 4 for a penny too, pink and very sweet! Linda
  11. L

Hi The other Jennings family, lived a little further down the street from you and up the street from me. We lived in the middle section of the street between Gerrard Street and Clifford Street. We were next door to The Alma Tavern. My dad did know Harold Jennings near to you but they were not...
  12. L

Black Country Museum

I bought some carbolic soap a few years ago. It was from Bliss Hill Museum. I still have it. It’s in a brown paper bag. Every now again I have myself a fix. That is, I have a sniff of the soap! Instantly it takes me straight back to my school days!
  13. L

Tastes Of The Past

My grandad would say cabbage water was good for your blood. My mom said it would stop you getting pimples! I drink it occasionally but mostly use it to make gravy. I was also given the cabbage stalk to chobble on while, waiting for dinner! Happy days Linda
  14. L

Hello Mike, good to see you’ve joined this forum. Yes, it’s quite awhile since the days of Friends Reunited. It’s a pity it folded. Hope you and your family are keeping well. On occasions I too drive through Aston and Lozells for a fix! You may find images of your end of Gerrard Street on Aston...
  15. L

Childhood Memories

Yes, our Mom would say that too! Also, our Dad would say if a cat sits with it’s back towards the fire it would snow! Happy days
  16. L

Fox

We had a lovely neighbour called Mrs Fox, she lived at 2/125 Alma Street Aston. I think her first name was Hilda. In the early 1960’s I recall her granddaughter Pam living with her for a while. Pam got married to a chap called Ron, he had a Morris Minor! I recall Pam and Ron taking my brother...
  17. L

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

My Mom worked for Lucas on the Twilight Shift at Great King Street. The Christmas Party I went to was probably 1959 when I was 5 years old. The Pantomime was Aladdin. I can still remember Window Twankey pushing Aladdin towards the mangle. He came out the other side as a cardboard cut out! It...
  18. L

Traditional Brummie Food

Occasionally on a Sunday afternoon our Dad would sit for ages teasing winks out of their shells. He would place them on a saucer and added a little pepper and vinegar before eating them between 2 slices of bread and butter. Mmmmm delicious!
Back