• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Birmingham Syphon Company Limited

stewright, Joe Guttridge again. I can also be contacted by email on joeg@gnarleycottageservices.co.uk Please do get in contact. I have done a lot of research over the course of the pandemic & found out a great deal, which I am happy to share with you. Are you in the UK?
  2. J

I can't find the envelope to click on at the top of the page. I can find an icon which seems to be "share" & when I click on that I can find an envelope, but that only seems to be a way to email the post. Am I doing something wrong?
  3. J

Audrey, Although I can't really help with the photo of the Meriden Street premises, I can add something to the detail of the company before Luke Bradleys time at the top & also to his own background. Funnily enough I am also something of a Rolls Royce person and am very interested in the Wraith...
  4. J

An interesting (if only to me!) snippet. Birmingham rate books show the Birmingham Syphon Co operating in premises at the junction of Allison St. & Bordesley St in 1906 & 1911. The premises were operated by them, but owned by Showells Brewery. Now it is a fact that Walter Showell, the founder of...
  5. J

I think I am at the point at which I can demonstrate the ownership of this company by the Hartill family & its early history. I have found that the Kellys directories & censuses point to the formation of the company in or around 1880 in 12 Bishop Street, probably by a John Osman, an established...
  6. J

Birmingham Syphon co & the hartill family. A little more possibly relevant information, probably explaining how John Harry Hartill came to be in the brewery trade. Firstly, it is a fact that mums family have often incorporated cheshire into the names of their children. Secondly it looks as...
  7. J

Are you still active regarding this topic? During the coronavirus lockdown I have been doing a bit more digging around the Hartill family & could let you have some of the detail, if it is of interest?
  8. J

I think I got the connection between luke bradley & one of the hartills from one of the census returns of around the end of the 19th century. Possibly he was living with them, I dont recall. ButI think a John Henry Hartill was a "flour agent",born in 1837 in the Oldbury area wasone of "ours".His...
  9. J

I am pretty sure my mothers family, surname Hartill, owned this firm in the late 19th/early 20th century. Mum always talked of "uncle Cliff" as the actual proprietor. My own grandfather delivered products for them & reputedly met his wife to be during an epidemic in the city(around 1900, perhaps...
Back