• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Lost Birmingham Pubs

I believe that the area was known as St. Mary's. Bath Street address was known as St. Mary's Birmingham 4. Shadwell Street Little Shadwell Street and Shadwell Street were next to Bath Street. The district was Ladywood.
  2. P

shadwell street

Correction to Bath Street, the lodging house was called the Racquet Court (not Acorn) I never knew of any houses in Shadwell Street apart from the pub which was turned into a house.
  3. P

shadwell street

The only other houses that I can recall in Bath Street, were right next door to the Gunmakers, and I had a friend who lived in one f them. There were another house at the top opposite St. Chad's Cathedral and next to a boarding house I think known as the Acorn (peoples name for it was the...
  4. P

shadwell street

Thank you for sharing the maps, it looks as if our yard must have been court 2. The house numbers on it reads 4 3 2 7 11. When my parents moved into this yard their house was Number 1/11, which is shown as number 4, they lived there, and my elder sister and brother were born. They moved into...
  5. P

shadwell street

This information is interesting. The yard that I lived in was an open yard no entry to it. There was an air raid shelter situated at the bottom of it, where we used to play . I remember a telegraph pole right at the bottom of the yard and next to it appeared to have been a house which was...
  6. P

shadwell street

I lived in Bath Street in a yard opposite the Gun Makers, we were the only yard and there were four houses in it at the bottom was number 11(it had been a shop previously, before I was born), our house was number 2/11. I was born and lived there until 18th September 1961 when we were relocated...
  7. P

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thank you Katrina, have printed it for my files.
  8. P

H Katrina, I did not know that there was a soldiers will and would be interested in seeing such a document. I found his name to begin my search on GWGC and he is on the Loos memorial. I also found his name in the casualties list published I think by the Birmingham Mail, one said posted missing...
  9. P

Hi Katrina, Thank you for your interest, and info. I wonder if there is anyone who's relative served in the 2/6 Warwicks around the same time as my Uncle Bertram. (my name is Pauline)
  10. P

Thank you Terry, for this additional information I did not know that they formed part of the 61st Infantry Division. I did know that he was in the reserves. I have a copy of the last letter he wrote to his mother (my grandmother) this dated 28th June 1916 address Pte Brittle No. 3872 A. Coy...
  11. P

After a break from research I have now once again looked at all the information I have on my Uncle Bertram Brittle who was killed on 19th July 1916 at Fromelles, he served in 2/6 Warwicks. There are missing links I still have to find, I have not been able to find when and where he enlisted, what...
  12. P

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I can only remember that I was told by my sister the people she stayed with were childless and wanted to help look after her and give her lots of love and attention helping her back to health. The Borrowmans wanted to keep her and adopt her obviously mom wanted her back with the family. Jean...
  13. P

St Chads Schools

Just been catching up on the interesting posts regarding St. Chad's Brearley Street. I remember the school trips to Trentham Gardens, Litchfield Cathedral and also a day trip to Rhyll. Never been to the seaside and the trip had to be paid for. Every Monday I had to take (I think it was 2/-...
Back