• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. mbenne

Boxing Day 1964

In the V neck jumper is my eldest cousin, the one in the Whatsapp clip. I'm in the red jumper, now 3 years older than my grandad was when the film was taken - he was bn 31st Dec 1898. The baby is my youngest cousin, now 58o_O
  2. mbenne

Boxing Day 1964

I was just wondering whether I had but checked my posts and couldn't find it. Have been digitising a lot of 8mm films lately from 1960s and they all seem to be rolling into one:rolleyes: Happy New Year!
  3. mbenne

Boxing Day 1964

A little late but still topical, I hope. Always had a family get together at my grandparents', Gospel Lane, the day after Christmas. Being an only child it was a chance to meet up with my cousins - they lived quite a way away so I only used to see them at Easter, on summer holidays and Xmas...
  4. mbenne

Sheldon

Brought back memories for me too. We always got seats in the stalls and often entered the cinema by taking the steps down the long passage that ran along the side of the cinema and came out at the front by the screen. This is where the ice cream lady used to stand with her tray of ice cream...
  5. mbenne

Sheldon

Last Night at The Sheldon Cinema and THE END - November 1977 Last week my son emptied the loft in my Mom and Dads bungalow and dropped off a lot of old photos that I hadn't managed to sort through. There were quite a few of the Sheldon Cinema which my Dad took on the last night, before it was...
  6. mbenne

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

My Nan always bought Shippam's and it was just known as fish paste, regardless of what was on the label. So it all tasted the same to me. There was always a half eaten jar on the kitchen table - no fridges in those days. Would sometimes have it on a slice of Mothers Pride bread, coated with...
  7. mbenne

Your oldest domestic tool

My Nan's old flat iron. There were two, but only have the smaller one. I can remember her heating them on a gas hob to do her ironing. No idea of its origin or how old it is but was used up until around 1967. Sadly, the manufacturer details are so rusted I cant read it. Looks something like - E...
  8. mbenne

Keeping Warm

In the early days Dad placed a paraffin heater, like the one in your post, in the bathroom. One evening we were sitting in the living room and heard an occasional thumping noise coming from upstairs. He went to investigate and on opening the bathroom door was met by a pool of burning paraffin...
  9. mbenne

Keeping Warm

With gas and electricity prices escalating, like everyone else, we've been economising. The central heating goes on for an hour or two in the evening, heating two rooms only. We have a wall mounted tv in the bedroom so we tend to go to bed earlier now with the electric blanket on to watch...
  10. mbenne

Mapledene Junior & Infants School

I've only just come across your post! I remember the name Keith Hopkins from my time at Mapledene. He was a couple of years below me when I left in 1965 The names of those that were good at sport tended to stand out. I would probably have recognised him back then but sadly I have no...
  11. mbenne

Elmdon Airport

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.freightwaves.com/news/national-airlines-expands-747-freighter-fleet-by-150/amp Seems overall freight capacity has fallen due to reduced demand for passenger flights. So maybe not all 747s are destined for the scrap yard yet (fingers crossed) A recent headline...
  12. mbenne

Dad's Memoirs

The House The house had been built only eighteen years before but looked as though it had suffered a century of wear. It was worse than we had imagined but, in fairness to us, the seller had denied us a detailed inspection, having told us that we could rely on his word that everything was as it...
  13. mbenne

Pet Fostering

We lost our cat, Biskit, recently. Had him for 15 years and it has left a large hole in our lives, and our daily routine - satisfying his bottomless appetite, hot water bottles on winter nights - even though he slept in the house, opening and closing doors to let him in and out on request- quite...
  14. mbenne

Individuals on Family Tree Maker 2005

Not familiar with either package but you could try the user guide on Amazon - currently £4.76, but no guarantee that software has the feature you are looking for :( The Official Guide To Family Tree Maker 2005 Paperback
Back