• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Beechcroft House 15 Belle Walk Moseley

I do, but at the moment I am recovering from two life threating accidents, a knee replacement and selling my house. I can cope with no more. When I move(It takes ages) I maybe will find time to answer you. At the moment though I just can't even after all these years having to hand over a son at...
  2. M

Yes it was. My son found me in his twenty's. The last thing I whispered to him was please find me. He did.
  3. M

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

My twin and I were born two months early in 1948. We weighed just over thee pounds each. My father Vivian Bird, wrote an article for 'Woman,s Hour' of our birth, and how Sorrento saved us. In those days my mother had no idea she was having twins. My dad used to cycle from Hay Mills to Sorrento...
  4. M

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Does anyone remember the School Prayer: As a Priest I say it often, and always think of the school I hated so much. First line Teach us good Lord to serve thee as thou deservest.
  5. M

I remember Miss Tyson, when we had a period we could not have a shower. She wrote the date in a book. If you were like me you tried it on all the time. It must have looked like I always had one.
  6. M

I remember them. Mine was pale blue. She was there when I started. The year it opened, straight into the second year.
  7. M

Cockbain had a light that came on outside her door. Red you could knock but not enter Green you knocked and went in. She was a pretentious woman having taught at Sutton Coldfield High School. She ruined the school with her silly upper class ideas.
  8. M

I was in the first intake, I hated the school. Especially showers and PE and games.The blue colour was Cambridge Blue. I liked the Art Teacher. Miss Carter(Music) Loathed Cockbain. Pauline French was in my class, Jennifer Bruce with blonde hair. Janet Clay, Kathleen Dickens. We were all from...
  9. M

Modern Birmingham Historians

Hi, my father was Vivian Bird, He attended Camp Hill. He wore their tie and went and watched until the day he died. Any help I can be please let me know.
  10. M

london prentice street

Jeremiah Walters lived at 46. A relative of my mothers.
  11. M

My twin and I where born in Hay Mills three months early in 1948. Mom didn't know she was having twins, we only weighed 3lb something each. We were taken to The Sorrento, kept in incubators, and washed with Olive Oil. We stayed there until our birth date in May. My dad (Vivian Bird) would cycle...
  12. M

I was there in 6May 68. Please don't call it a workhouse.
  13. M

I went there at 13 when it opened, 2nd year, the only lessons I enjoyed was Art, RE, and Music with a Miss Carter I was in 2A, and in Canterbury. I hated the teaching,so boring, and Mrs Cockbains and her silly ideas. I didn't work because it was an hours journey home and then there was no...
  14. M

Miss Tyson I remember her. I had arguments about showers with her because she used to want us to prove we had a period. I hated communal showers.
  15. M

I was in the first year to go to the school. Miss Haste was deputy Head then. Always dressed in tweeds, and took Englis I remember a Janet Evans, I think we were in the same class. Molly Langridge nee Bird.
  16. M

The colour was Oxford Blue. Cockbain came when the school started, before that she cameSutton High School. I think her aspirations were a little high for us.
  17. M

I remember Bronwen, she was im my year. We were the first year there. I did not like Cobain at all, and she did not like me. I was a bit of a rebel too. I only liked the art teacher. My mother made me leave after doing my mock o level. I never knew what I got. I would really like to know about...
  18. M

Cox Street West - Balsall Heath

I am just researching The Webb Family from 104 Cox Street West. Mrs Cox was Harriet Bird , an ancestor of mine. Married to Daniel. Any information gladley appreciated.
Back