• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Actongrumpy

The Lady From Dum Dum

Thanks to the ‘Heads Up’ from jukebox concerning the five days of free ‘Find My Past’, I have discovered a new branch of my family tree - the Bergins. Michael Bergin, born in Ireland, joined the army and served in South Africa and India. While in India his wife, Catherine, gave birth to three...
  2. Actongrumpy

Tracking Down Medal Citations?

Albert Thomas Smith, army number 15/491, was a Sergeant Cook in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Birmingham). Theatre of war - France, entered 21st November 1915. Gazetted 15th April 1918. Mentioned in despatches and awarded the Belgium Croix de Guerre but I don't...
  3. Actongrumpy

Patrick O''brian

The one thing that really disappoints me is reading a brilliant book only to find that the author hasn’t written another one! Fortunately, Patrick O’Brian has written umpteen including my favourite the Aubrey/Maturin series - 20 books. I like these books so much that I’m reading them for the...
  4. Actongrumpy

Dummy Loader

During the war, the AA training camp at Tonfanau, Wales, was responsible for training gun crews to load and fire Anti Aircraft guns. The standard method was to use dummy shells in an actual gun but this had the drawback that, after each firing, the shell had to be levered back out with a...
Back