• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. F

Grand Union and Olton Mere

Olton Mere was created in 1799 as a reservoir to feed the Grand Union Canal. It is situated on the border of Solihull and Birmingham. The Mere has suffered from the drought. I took this photo on Saturday. It took me 40 minutes to walk round it and only saw one heron and very few other birds.
  2. F

Yardley Lodge Cricket Team - 1903

I think the 'Lodge' part refers to a freemason type organisation. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who can throw some light on this. The photographers studio is in Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills. Frank M
  3. F

Pub at 6 Legge Street in 1851?

Does anyone have any knowledge of a pub at the above address? A relative of mine, Thomas Allen, appears on the 1851 census as being a licensed victualler at this address.
  4. F

222 Watery Lane

I am interested in Alfred Alan Nicholls. The 1911 census shows him as a licensed victualler at 222 Watery Lane. Is this a pub?
  5. F

Lake Family. Birmingham City Police Whistle

I have a police whistle made about 1905 by Joseph Hudson of Barr Street. The whistle has been stamped C202. Enquiries with the West Midlands Police Museum show the collar number C202 was allocated to John Lake. John was born 1877 and lived in the Glebe Farm/Lea hall area. In 1897 he joined...
  6. F

Insititute for Friendless Girls, 206 St Vincent Str, Ladywood

Can any one help with any information re the above home. I am researching my neighbours family history. A distant relative, Bertha Fanny Davis (b1873 in Tewkesbury) is shown at this home in the 1891 census. Ten years earlier she was living with her family in Highgate Street, Balsall Heath...
  7. F

City Linen Services Showell Green Lane

When I left school in 1964 I went to work at a laundry in Showell Green Lane. Time has taken it's toll and I cannot remember it's name. Can anyone help me out?
Back