• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. F

Grand Union and Olton Mere

Thanks Mike. Great map. Interesting to note Dovehouse Farm in the bottom right of the map which is now Dovehouse Parade.
  2. F

They must have had a hard winter that year.
  3. F

Thanks Pedro. You could be right. In 1900 five residents of nearby St Bernards Rd got together and leased the Mere from the canal company for sailing, fishing, and shooting. However, the shooting was stopped in 1926 due to lack of wildfowl. (Must have been good shots.)
  4. F

I think it's just a reservoir known as Olton Mere.
  5. F

Olton Mere was created in 1799 as a reservoir to feed the Grand Union Canal. It is situated on the border of Solihull and Birmingham. The Mere has suffered from the drought. I took this photo on Saturday. It took me 40 minutes to walk round it and only saw one heron and very few other birds.
  6. F

Yardley Lodge Cricket Team - 1903

Thanks Pedro, They appear to be the worst team in the league. Mr Hunter's address of 58 Coventry Road, Hay Mills intrigues me as you would expect the low numbers to begin at the Camp Hill end of Cov Rd.
  7. F

Yardley Lodge Cricket Team - 1903

I think the 'Lodge' part refers to a freemason type organisation. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who can throw some light on this. The photographers studio is in Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills. Frank M
  8. F

Knowle Road Sparkhill

Some relatives of mine lived in Knowle Road, Sparkhill. William and Lil Green lived at 122. Lil was born Lilly Strong and her family lived at 55 Bertha Road, Greet. On the opposite side of the road Doris and Horace Waring lived at 109. Doris was a Green before she got married. They had two...
  9. F

Pub at 6 Legge Street in 1851?

Thanks Mike, I noticed a earlier thread of yours in 2010 that listed the licensees of the Legge Street pub which clarified things for me. It amazes me where you get all this info from. I also noticed someone else with the same interest in 6 Legge Street. Last year I had a DNA test with...
  10. F

Thanks Janice. Life may have been harder in those days but they were never short of a drink. Frank
  11. F

Does anyone have any knowledge of a pub at the above address? A relative of mine, Thomas Allen, appears on the 1851 census as being a licensed victualler at this address.
  12. F

222 Watery Lane

Thanks Lyn, I knew there were two or three pubs in Watery Lane but I did not know the numbers. Thanks again Lyn, Frank
  13. F

222 Watery Lane

I am interested in Alfred Alan Nicholls. The 1911 census shows him as a licensed victualler at 222 Watery Lane. Is this a pub?
  14. F

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Steve, 1A Albert Street was the RAF Recruiting Office. I went there in 1966 to join up.
  15. F

Sparkhill Commercial School

Great photo Superdad
  16. F

I used to live in Newton Road and so I know a few of the people in the photo. There are a lot of children in the photo, many more than lived in our road and so I can only assume that they came from nearby roads. The entertainment must have been the chap at the back with the accordion.. . ...
  17. F

Sparkhill Commercial School was situated on the corner of Stratford Road and Newton Road. I think the photo is a kids party celebrating the Queen's coronation.
  18. F

Lake Family. Birmingham City Police Whistle

This is great. Thanks to everyone for all their help. This certainly gives me food for thought. It's amazing how the spelling of surnames changes over the years. Frank
Back