• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Ann Steiner

The Gardner girls

Liam, I have not not heard from Bob yet, but hope he'll have a chance to write soon -- and it won't wind up in the spam folder! Thank ni you again. Best, Ann Hi Ann, I have no doubt that Bob will be fine with my giving you his email address. As I wrote it was pure chance, Ann that I came...
  2. Ann Steiner

The Gardner girls

Hi Liam, Thank you for your post about Doreen (Gardner) Nickless -- confirming who she married, and that she is still living (as well as her sister Patricia, as far as you know). I understand the need to obtain Bob's permission before providing me with his email -- am hoping he will be okay...
  3. Ann Steiner

Bill Bryson At Home

Thanks for the great tip, Bill. I have three of his books, have read several others, and enjoyed everything he's written. I wasn't aware of the one you mentioned and will look for it at the library. Ann
  4. Ann Steiner

Bullocks Mill on Cliveland Street

Rupert, I looked up button makers, as you suggested, and on one site noted that Edward Armfield, on Carpenter Road, is listed as making buttons from 1763 to the present. (Or at least to the time-frame when that website was created.) Two-hundred and forty-eight years. Amazing! And...
  5. Ann Steiner

Hurrah -- Mike comes through again! Thank you so much. The word "mill" had me confused, as I couldn't see a connection between that and button manufacturing. Also the fact that the name was included, in italics, with a list of men presumably living at #19 Cliveland. Now I see they weren't...
  6. Ann Steiner

Rupert -- thank you for responding. Is the flour mill you mention from 1890 called Bullocks? So it would have been the same in the 1855 Directory then? The button manufacturer wasn't Bullocks Mill I don't think -- that enterprise was further down the street from what I can determine, and...
  7. Ann Steiner

Wonder if anyone knows what this place was. I found it while looking through the 1855 Birmingham City Directory for a x3 great-grandfather. He was a wood turner. I found him listed at Ct 7, on Cliveland St., 275 New Town row. The numbers start from the beginning at 16 with one resident...
  8. Ann Steiner

Links: Early Architectural Renderings from archiseek site

Sorry Mike -- and sort of weird. I went back on Google and looked it up again (I use Mozilla Firefox for a browser). It brought up a link that actually has a different web URL this time -- www.archiseek.com Although I found it the first time with the one I posted above. ??? But anyway, it...
  9. Ann Steiner

Links: Early Architectural Renderings from archiseek site

I don't know if this information has been posted before or not, so sorry if it's a repeat. In looking for possible photos of an old building in Birmingham today I bumped into the following website that was quite interesting. https://archiseek.com When you bring up the home page, if you...
  10. Ann Steiner

Online Gutenberg Library: Showell’s Dictionary of Birmingham

My Great-great grandfather is the Thomas T. Harman who helped compile that. That was a fun discovery when I learned of it. Agreed, there's a great deal of interesting information included in it, and I wish I could find copies of the other books he complied that it makes mention of. I inquired...
  11. Ann Steiner

Perrotts Folly

"As far as I am aware Moseley Bog & Sarehole Mill was the inspiration for "The Shire" home of the Hobbits. Phil" Thanks, Phil! I'll do a look up and see what I can learn about them; maybe find some photos. I'm looking forward to the movie, once it's completed and out in theaters. The Ring...
  12. Ann Steiner

Perrotts Folly

I apologize for possibly leading this onto another track, but are there any other buildings or sites in the Birmingham area that are known to have served as inspiration for Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series? Ann
  13. Ann Steiner

help wanted please

Thank you, Mike. I thought it was the same road, but then I thought that about Sheepcote Street and Lane too, and wanted to check to make sure I wasn't mistaken again. Ann
  14. Ann Steiner

help wanted please

Speaking of Nursery Road, would that be the same as Nursery Terrace? My 2X-great-grandfather lived in/at Devonshire Place (along with at least sixteen or more families, before there was then a listing for a "back cottage"). There are numerous dwellings listed for Nursery Terrace in Aston, with...
  15. Ann Steiner

Sheepcote Lane question

Thanks, Mike. I had found Sheepcote Street on my map, since it's a fairly long one, but didn't notice "Lane" up above it. I have two different ancestors who lived on the "Street" version, and was looking up photos. I had mistakenly assumed that Street and Lane were being used interchangeably...
  16. Ann Steiner

Sheepcote Lane question

I think I know the answer to this, but just want to check to make sure. Sheepcote Lane and Sheepcote Street are one in the same, correct? Ann
  17. Ann Steiner

My Wife Marion.

My deepest condolences to you, Barrie. What a kind and gentle way for Marion to pass on -- lovingly at your side. May her beautiful memory remain in your heart forever. Ann Steiner
  18. Ann Steiner

WWII Barrage Balloon Sites

Did Phil ever finish his research/book on barrage balloons? A cousin of mine, around ten years old at the height of the war, sent me a written memory. At the time, she was living on Daisy Farm Road, Warstock, south of central Birmingham. She said there were barrage balloons located near Daisy...
  19. Ann Steiner

Missing from cesus returns -- another conundrum

That was my thought -- he was in Coleford looking for work or looking up relatives (since he was originally from Gloucestershire), and his wife gave the enumerator his name as well in Birmingham. What a guy -- able to be in two places at once! Thanks again. Ann
  20. Ann Steiner

Missing from cesus returns -- another conundrum

Oh bless your heart, Suzanne!!! Yup -- there they all are, for 1871 and 1881 both! With additional information on them that I didn't know about before -- especially the birth of a third son, who apparently didn't survive childhood. Strange how the father, Thomas T was listed in two places...
Back