• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Building in Bristol Road, Selly Oak

Thanks for that. Still no clearer on the moving model then, pity there are no old photos anywhere.
  2. B

Janice, Thanks again. Another bit of Brum that is no more.
  3. B

Many thanks. Yes, I think that is the building, but sad to see it in that state. The display window I am thinking about was in the bottom right of the picture as you look at it. The fact that it was Birmingham Battery fits with my recollection of a permanently moving model - battery-powered I...
  4. B

Can anyone remember and put a name to the building on the Bristol Road near the canal and railway that used to have some sort of clockwork or battery display in the window? It was on your left as you headed into the city centre.
  5. B

Harborne

I can't recall whether Frankley Terrace was gated but, as I said, it always felt a bit different. With hindsight, perhaps that is why and because it felt a little intrusive to walk through the terrace - as if we were walking through someone's garden. From what you say, perhaps we were, but we...
  6. B

Street furniture

Or away from the Victorian urinal - never the most fragrant of places!
  7. B

Harborne

Its a long time since I visited Harborne and longer still since I lived there. Reading everyone's post has brought back a lot of memories - even if some of them are a bit hazy! Did you or others ever try Wimbush's individual trifles? They were a rare treat in my childhood, but delicious. I can...
  8. B

Harborne

Jimbo Thanks, that's what I thought.
  9. B

Nonsuch Farm

I can't recall if there were any area signs for California, but as kids we would set out for 'Cally Dumps' by walking across planted fields (always sticking to the path of course). From memory, if you went one way from Cally Dumps you would arrive on Quinton Road West, another way Bartley Green...
  10. B

Harborne

Just as a supplementary point, the photo I saw, under another thread, of the Royalty as a bingo hall suggested the photo was taken in the 1950s. I don't think that is correct. The Royalty was definitely a cinema into the 1960s - I know because I went there during my time at grammar school, which...
  11. B

Finnemore

Baker and Finnemore - famous for 'Starlock Washers. My sister worked for the company in the 1960s, based in Newhall Street.
  12. B

King Edward VI School, Five Ways 1883 - 1958

Yes it did. See the George Dixon Grammar School thread.
  13. B

6 Selly Oak to Bearwood

Phil, I have really enjoyed looking at your sequence of photos. In my younger and much fitter days I used to cycle round the outer circle route. How times have changed! I was hoping you might have had a shot of the old dairy on Harborne Lane - W.F.Bache I think. There was also a really good...
  14. B

Broad Street

Well, it was a response to posts from yourself and Big Gee under 'Neighbours and Streets' I think, but it would fit very well under the thread about GD - as might your post and that of GD. Does the forum allow posts to appear in two places?
  15. B

Harborne

I think I have it now. I don't think I ever went in the shop. I remember the Vine with the cellar doors set in the pavement for the delivery of proper wooden barrels.
  16. B

Broad Street

Kunzles is a name from the past. One of our next door neighbours worked at Kunzles and occasionally used to bring us bags of mis-shapes as a treat. At a time when we usually made do with a pointed 2oz bag of sweets once a week it was a treat indeed. Mind you, I always preferred Cadbury's...
  17. B

Broad Street

Big Gee, I was at GD after both you and David (1960-67) but spent time (5th year I think) at Five Ways. I agree that City Road was the better site. Five Ways always felt like the poor relation. It was interesting though. Routinely we would enter from Ladywood Road but it was possible to enter...
  18. B

George Dixons Grammar School

Big Gee, I was at GD after both you and David (1960-67) but spent time (5th year I think) at Five Ways. I agree that City Road was the better site. Five Ways always felt like the poor relation. It was interesting though. Routinely we would enter from Ladywood Road but it was possible to enter...
  19. B

Harborne

Handlebar, I can't place Manton's. Was it part of the block of shops going down from the Mews Garage?
  20. B

Harborne

Carolina, What a crying shame to see the old Royalty in this state. It was such a beautiful and impressive cinema in its heyday. We have such a poor record of looking after our heritage in this country. Bad enough to find that the old Royalty had to go through the ignominy of being a bingo...
Back