• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Park Lane...Aston

Oh I remember Miss Rock so well - used to have a photo of her taken at - I think - Barmouth on a day trip. My whole family on my mum's side went to Burlington St - from my Grandmother onwards so it was a bit of a tradition. I think there are more details about it from me in the school thread.
  2. A

Park Lane...Aston

I was 5 then - just starting at Burlington Street :) I remember the (big to me) dog that lived a few doors down in Parliament St. - Ruff his name was! Black and tan dog and so patient with kids .... mY brother was 8 years older than me though - at Saltley by then
  3. A

Park Lane...Aston

Yes - the van is parked outside our place - Dunns Fruit Stores was 142a (I can even remember the phone number!) and after the war the adjoining 144 was taken over by us after it ceased being a fish and chip shop (briefly I think - before my time!) 144 was turned into the flower section of the...
  4. A

Saltley Secondary School

He taught - or tried at least - to teach me Latin (which i failed at O level) - also English Language in 5th year (which I passed with grade 1) He could never understand why I couldn't do Latin. I can actually do a lot more now than I could then!
  5. A

Mesdames Bailey & Baker Lozells

Not very clear I am afraid - hard to photo a small curved surface!
  6. A

Well we are planning to move to Portugal shortly and this is up for sale atm ... can't take everything with us sadly! But yes - it is a nice thing though not in its first flush of youth (a bit like me !!) But I hoped to find out a bit more about it before it goes off to a new home
  7. A

I have a very old wooden needle/bodkin case with this label - anyone remember the shop or maybe have a picture? The label on it reads: "YOUR CHANGE WITH THANKS Mesdames BAILEY & BAKER Ladies and Children's OUTFITERS 150, Lozells Road BIRMINGHAM" I don't remember but apparently they gave...
  8. A

Salford bridge

Wow Eric - we moved in to join my Nan at 27 Chartley - about half way up the hill on the right before it turned - in about 1964/5 We were there for a while but was too crowded and we moved in about 1967 I think to Sutton Remember the bakery in Slade Road - Salmon's? - up towards Highcroft...
  9. A

Salford bridge

My grandmother grandfather and aunt moved to Chartley Road (off Hillside) when they retired from Dunns Fruit Stores in Park Lane Aston. I can remember going on the #65 bus and getting off in Slade Road just under the railway bridge to walk up the hill. Great pictures bought it all back...
  10. A

Dunn's Fruit Store, Park Lane, Aston

Am sorting some stuff about my grandmothers family out too ... probably better in the family thread though cos it gets complex. My bro has much more but he seems not to be a member now - he is not well so that may be the reason
  11. A

Burlington St Schools

Wow Tootz - my brother is on one of your pics - would be earlier than 1955 . Can't see a teacher in the photo though. Dave is 2nd from left of standing row behind the seated kids.
  12. A

A bit of Dunn family history - not researched very far back but all stayed in and around Aston Great grandfather Robert Dunn Great grandmother Mariah nee Delves Had 5 sons but no daughters Charles Henry Dunn - (Grandfather and owner of Dunn's Fruit Stores) - married in 1918 - he was 40...
  13. A

You are very welcome to John - the more I read the more I remember so - watch this space as they say! He is 8 years my senior so our combined memories cover a fair amount of ground although he was married and in london before our parents divorced and we moved away from the shop. Robbo's!! Yes...
  14. A

In case you were wondering David is my brother and still lives in Spain .... He got a few dates mixed up though as I was still living in Park Lane when I started at Saltley Grammar in 1962. We didn't move out until about 1964 or 5 when my parents were divorced and the shop was taken for...
  15. A

Oh yes! My brother used to take me over to James' to spend my pocket money each week! Couldn't remember the name. I remember them retiring though and the shop taken over by someone else. I don't remember the fish shop at all I am afraid. Whittakers must have been the shop my Aunt Jean...
  16. A

Great Grandma Mariah Dunn on the step of shop with son Tom and unknown baby
  17. A

This was situated at 142a Park Lane - opposite Parliament Street and was originally bought by my great grandparents for my Grandad when he was 21 (which would have been in about 1899 I think!) The lived in the corner shop opposite - Parliament Street/Park Lane though I don't remember either of...
  18. A

Burlington St Schools

wow I am on one of the photos Tootz - the one with Miss Hardy. Have the same one here ... The one of the teachers at the junior infant school was particularly interesting. Miss Rock! My reception teacher .... such memories. And Mr Burgess and Mr Keeping and the famous "Daddy" Eastwood who...
Back