• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Ice Cream

Mikejee I would agree with your comment on ice cream & the war but this was a dairy & I think it was made in-house. The reason I thought it was in the latter days of the war was the fact that my father was a 'voluntry' fireman & by the time the war in Europe finished he was no longer required.
  2. S

Ice Cream

My first recollections of ice cream were probably in the later stages of the war. My father was a part time AFS man (fire man) stationed in Shirley Rd, Hall Green. When he was on duty at week ends we would walk down with him from the Three Magpies to the station & call in at Jack Holbeaches(?)...
  3. S

H.P Sauce Birmingham

As a life long lover of HP Sauce (especially Fruity) we decided that we would boycot all Heinz products when they moved manufacture to the Netherlands. The big plus was that we found Branston Baked Beans which had recently been introduced - it was a far superior product. Within 12 months Heinz...
  4. S

City Centre - Corporation Street

Re: Stephenson Place Sorry this post is a bit late, but I remember the railed area in Stephenson Place being underground toilets in the 50's & 60's (quite smelly as well) I dont remember any statue
  5. S

Aston University Demolition

I attended Gosta Green CAT (College of Advanced Technology), later Aston Uni from 1956 onwards. I do not recognise the red brick buildings that were demolished. Where were they in relation to the original buildings opposite to the old fire station & Halfords head office. OK, I live a long way...
  6. S

Birmingham Municipal Bank

Hi #60 I have no idea where they were manufactured but from an early age (early 40's) we had these little oval black boxes about 3'' deep into which we were encouraged to put our 1/2d's. They had a slot one end & a round hole in the other (for paper money) The slot end had small fingers on the...
  7. S

Royal Mail Telegrams Boys

Just catching up Stich. 125cc Bantams were always 'light green'. I suspect the GPO had specials that were red (GPO colours) Royal Mail Telegrams, when I cleared up my mothers belongings after she died in the late 90's there were 2 or 3 old telegrams from overseas in the 30's & were just faded...
  8. S

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 4

BW3 - Starters & generators. BW4 - Lamps (head lights, sidelights etc) BW5 - Gas Turbines. I think Formans Rd Batteries was BW1. I started life after college at BW3 c. 1960
  9. S

1930s Hygiene

Stitch You say that nits are coming back despite the improvements in sanitary conditions in recent years. I personally dont remember any problems when I was at school (1942 to 1954) but you are lucky in the UK to have reasonably cool average temperatures. Here in South Australia in the summer...
  10. S

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Stitcher You obviously have a mountain of info on pre WWII standards The clothing is precisely what we rebelled against in the mid/late 50's (ie the uniform) The wallies of the 60's (flower power etc) completley mucked this up & made denim (jeans) the new uniform As for plus fours...
  11. S

Cadbury Changes

Just catching up. Hadnt read that Kraft were 'restructuring' Cadburys by ''intergrating them into its existing European business'' Here in Australia, Kraft market a wider range of their products under their own brand name than in the UK & we have realised that more & more are being 'Manufactured...
  12. S

Products Of The 1930s

It is amazing Sticher, how many products are still around, take Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. There was one on the supermarket shelf yesterday & that was in the Central Market, Adelaide (Australia). Not changed. John Baldry
  13. S

Empire Day

Stitcher Interesting to see British Empire Exhibition memorabilia. I have a aluminium rotary calender from a late 1800's exhibition that gives you day, date, month & year from 1900 to 2000. Sadly it cant cope with the 21st century John
Back