• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Mother and Baby home Moseley

Some of the posts on here are so sad to read and have brought me to tears. I have no idea what it must be like to be adopted and to go through life wondering and hoping and then to be so cruelly disappointed. My search is for my Great Grandfather who I cannot find any information on. My...
  2. C

Gladys Newton (nee-Woodbridge)

Hi Morturn , have just seen the map on your previous post, could have done with that today. Took a trip up to Kings Heath and walked around Kings Heath Park and the flats where my Grandmother used to live. Wow it's changed. Still, it brought back many memories. The park has changed too. I was...
  3. C

Not much changes over the years does it, still keeping up with the Jones'! I think I'll probably need a bit of luck in my search. Maybe someone out there somewhere will have the answers and something will turn up out of the blue. Sounds like Moseley is quite an affluent area still. I will...
  4. C

As I'm not from Birmingham I had no idea. That does sound promising. I have read about Sorrento Hospital. I know it was the first to have a "milk bank" and from what I've read was a good place to have your child. I think I will have to have a look around Moseley to get a feel for the place. Was...
  5. C

Hello again Morturn, forgot to say, I think Gladys lived in Moseley with her in-laws at some stage. Is there a Highfield Road there? CHINCH
  6. C

Hi Morturn, yes my Grandmother was working with premature babies as far as I know. I think this may have been after her earlier time at the house where she met my Grandfather. I wondered if she may have been in a children's home and possibly trained there to go into service and yes this would...
  7. C

Thank you all for your replies. I think maybe , it might well be a long shot to find them if these type of homes were so common. Gladys Woodbridge, (Grandmother) was born in 1915 and she met my Grandfather, Edward Albert Newton , b.1912, apparently at the house where they both worked . They...
  8. C

Hello, I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me if there were any large houses employing gardeners and staff around 1934, please? I have just found out that my Grandparents met whilst both working at a big house in Birmingham but I HAVE NO IDEA where to start searching, any help would be...
  9. C

Aston Hall

Oh, thanks for that, Astonian. I think I am looking at the early 1930's, possibly, 1934/35. I will wait to hear from you. Thanks again, CHINCH.
  10. C

Aston Hall

11. C

Aston Hall

Hi Astonian, I wonder if you know how I can find out who worked in Aston HALL? Are there any records kept do you know? Thanks, CHINCH.
  12. C

Josiah Mason Mausoleum Graveyard

Hi Eddie, thanks for replying to my post. What an awful memory to have but, fortunately, your time there was short. I hate to think that my Grandmother or any other child would suffer like that at the hands of those supposedly there to look after them. I like to think that , because the verses...
  13. C

Marston Green Hospital Nurses

OK, thanks Pat.
  14. C

Pat, here is the autograph again. Hopefully, you can decipher the name better than me.
  15. C

Hi Pat, the name is, Cecil Harry or Henry Lloyd or Lind? Maybe I'm not on the right track if this is such a widely used verse. It does look like the same writing though, the "p" is the same.I tried to make an appointment to look at the records at the library but they inform me that the records...
  16. C

Hi Pat, I told you about the verse that I have which is the same as the one in your book and I am posting it for you and the other verse which looks like a similar name and handwriting. I would love to know what you think? Regards, CHINCH.
  17. C

Josiah Mason Mausoleum Graveyard

hello Eddie, you sound as if you had a rough time at Erdington COTTAGE Homes. I do hope it wasn't like that always. I wonder if you remember any of the staff names from the time you were there? I think my Grandmother may have been there in the early '30's and have an autograph book with verses...
  18. C

Hi Viv, thanks for doing this for me. I don't know what I did wrong, not really very competent with all this computer stuff. Good to know there are so many helpful people out there willing to offer their support. Thanks again, CHINCH.
  19. C

Here's a few more.
  20. C

Hi Janice, THANK YOU!! I think it's worked. Hmmmmmm, might be upside down though. This is one of the entries in the autograph book. I will try and post some more. I Hope this has worked, I clicked on edit and the option to re-size appeared, I couldn't find paint. CHINCH.
Back