• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Ria Varnom

St Agnes High School Grammar School

Hi Tim, it’s lovely to hear from you. I attended St Agnes in 1973 having passed the 11+ exam at Maryvale and was there during the transition to St Edmund Campion. There was a fire at the boys school (St Thomas of Canterbury?) around that time and the boys joined some lessons with the Holly...
  2. Ria Varnom

St Phillips Grammar School Edgbaston

I attended St Agnes Grammar School in Erdington & my brother was in the last intake of 11+ pupils at St Philips. It became a 6th form college. We attended Maryvale RC J & I prior to that.
  3. Ria Varnom

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

King Edward Girls was located at Rose Hill Rd, Handsworth.
  4. Ria Varnom

The school buildings of the 1970’s era are still intact, the school site on Holly Lane/Sutton New Rd is much bigger now. Alas the tennis courts are now a staff car park. St Edmund Campion school encompasses the old girls school St Margaret Clitheroe in Pype Hayes and St Thomas (of Canterbury?)...
  5. Ria Varnom

Westhill College Selly Oak

The home for single mothers has been a Womens probation hostel called Crowley House. I worked there in the early 1990’s. Westhill teacher training block was at the start of the drive on Weoley Park Park Rd, since demolished and replaced with swish detached houses and St Marys Church was...
  6. Ria Varnom

Sunday School.

Sunday School . I went to Victory Gospel Hall on Kettlehouse Rd by the Circle Kingstanding. I loved going there from 1969 through the 70s. It was fun and I made many friends. We went on to join the girls group where I learned how to knit , sew and do corking. Once Iwas 12 I joined the youth...
  7. Ria Varnom

I have attached my remaining St Agnes momentous, this was on the blazer pocket. I used to wear the beret when I worked in the Juvenile Court circa 1979-81, the rules relaxed then and women were no longer required to wear hats, we still had to wear pale coloured tights and knee length skirt or...
Back