• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Brummygirl66

Oh God, No! Remember This...

2. Brummygirl66

Birmingham's Image And Status

You say Liverpool didn't knock down the Liver Building, but I would imagine many other buildings were knocked down during the post war years. Yes, a lot of beautiful buildings were lost, but a lot remain. The Council House, The Town Hall, now restored and looking beautiful, the original Law...
  3. Brummygirl66

Sadly, more and more greenery is having to be cut down because of barriers having to be put in many of the central shopping areas after the tragic events in London and Manchester last year.
  4. Brummygirl66

Oh God, No! Remember This...

That's the Bull Ring of my teens! Many happy Saturday afternoons spent there. Yet, strangely I do like the new Bull Ring, think its a really nice place to shop
  5. Brummygirl66

Uplands Cemetery Photo Request

Hi, did you have any luck getting what you require? I'd be glad to help if I can as I live about 200 yards from the cemetery.
  6. Brummygirl66

Wow, I certainly didn't mean to open such a can of worms with my post, but feel that I do have answer and try and explain my point of view. I look at the two pictures and I like the Victorian one very much, I wish it had not been demolished, but as others have said, at the time the planners...
  7. Brummygirl66

You iknow it must be me, but even though a lot of "my Birmingham" has gone from the '70's and'80's, I'm genuinely excited about the new development that is going on. Yes I miss the Bull Ring, Midland Red Bus Station (although it was drafty and smelly!) and even round by the library, but I think...
  8. Brummygirl66

Birmingham buses

Thanks Stitcher for putting that photo on the thread, many happy memories of catching the 128/9 there on Saturday afternoons and occasionally in the evening as a teenager.
  9. Brummygirl66

Birmingham buses

I must show my husband this picture as, unless another Birmingham garage used this bus number, this would probably be one of the buses he caught to school 8n Smethwick.
  10. Brummygirl66

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

The 229, 233 and 221 were my school buses when I went to Bristnall Hall, I'm guessing you were from Bearwood as well! The 214 we would catch home from the Cape and when I lived in Smethwick, my nan and I would meet my mom off the 252 when she worked at Baines on the Cape. Thank you for the route...
  11. Brummygirl66

I'm really looking early '70's as I know the buses changed around 1974? to become WMPTE, the 229/233 I never travelled on as Midland Red, but the Smethwick services I remember from when I was a little girl. Thank you for mentioning that book, I'll certainly have a look for it after Christmas.
  12. Brummygirl66

Can anyone help me with finding pictures of the buses that ran just over the border in Smethwick such as the 221, 220, 233, 229, 214, 215, and the bus my husband caught to school the 212. I've searched in a lot of different websites but can't really find anything. Any help would be great, thanks.
  13. Brummygirl66

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

My first drink was half a larger and black (yuk) at The Dog on the Hagley Road when I was 16 with a group of my school friends. We thought we were so sophisticated with our halves and 10 B&H, thing was one of our teachers was in there at the same time, he came over and quietly said, drink up...
  14. Brummygirl66

Subways

I used to hate using that one at the King's Head Bearwood, when I had to catch the No 9 to my friends house in Halesowen in the early '80's, I'd much rather take my chance crossing on the opposite side of Bearwood Road to the subway, then crossing Lordswood Road to get to the bus stops. Glad it...
  15. Brummygirl66

Advertising in the past

I remember my nan using Zam Buk on my cuts and grazes. When I was a little girl, I was always falling over and scraging my knees and elbows, sometimes getting gravel in them, nan used to bandage them up with Zam Buk on lint and she said it would get the gravel that couldn't be got out by bathing...
  16. Brummygirl66

Coalman

We had coal fires when I lived in Dibble Road and it was lovely to come home from school on a autumn day like today and get warm in front of it. Nan used to bank up the fire after I had gone to school, but it was still warm for me. It was especially useful during the 3 day week when we were...
  17. Brummygirl66

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

I know many of you disliked the 1960's Bull Ring, but to me that was "My Bull Ring of my teenage years and I spent many, many happy Saturdays walking round there before buying some flowers from the flower lady at the bottom of the ramp, she was usually selling them off by the time I got there...
  18. Brummygirl66

Westies

Had this fridge magnet as a Christmas present last year from my husband.
  19. Brummygirl66

Westies

Just seen this, sums my Bolly up really!
  20. Brummygirl66

Westies

I've noticed a couple of pictures of these smashing little dogs, Smudgers especially and of course my own avi and was just reading the National Service thread and saw them mentioned so decided to make this thread to talk about them. I'm the proud owner of a 5 year old Westie called Bolly. She...
Back