• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

Do I hold the school record for travelling the longest distance from home to the school? I travelled from the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington (near the Sutton border) to school each day via the 64 bus to Aston Cross and then the Inner Circle 8, why? It's a long story, I'll have to get back to you on...
  2. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

I had a similar experience, I wanted to be an architect but the careers advisor poured cold water on that idea.
  3. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

Hi Max, I'm sure I would have remembered such a posh name, but I'm afraid I don't, I don't think we could have been in the same class/year. Do you remember any of the names I mentioned earlier? My final year (5th) was Form G3, as mentioned we were based in the library, this can be located in the...
  4. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

Can I just say, before I reply, I was lured to the dark side by offers of unimaginable wealth, fast cars and even faster, glamorous..........best not to go there, let's just say I'm back and enjoying the exchange of HLS memories, Enel, regarding the form numbering this is my best shot: 1st year...
  5. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

Hi Harry, good to hear from you, I must admit I don't recall your name, some fellow inmates, sorry, pupils I do recall are: Dianne Bennet, John Smith, John Onions, Edward Embley, David Baldock and, of course, Mike Leddy. That was when we were all in the 5th year, Form G3 (there was only one form...
  6. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

HLS existed as a senior school for just 11 years (1958-69), it must be a contender for the title of Shortest Living Birmingham School ever.
  7. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

A reminder of how the school looked in 1961....... To the right above the school roof can be seen Joseph Lucas (Gt King St), on Burbury St. In the centre of the elevation can be seen a tree, this is in the centre of a small quad, the Deputy Head's (in my time Mrs Cadman) office window overlooked...
  8. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

I attended HLS 1960-65. So, did anyone who attended the school go on to achieve greatness? Yes, at least one, Michael Leddy (a classmate). He became Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Chancellor of Birmingham City University (formerly The University of Central England) and is currently MP for Brandwood...
  9. Peg Monkey

Christmas greetings 2021

Merry Christmas and a Happy Virus-free New Year to all BHF Members. Peg. P.S. Lewis's - what a great store sadly long gone.
  10. Peg Monkey

Top Rank

If you were at the New Year's Eve Breakout, Top Rank, 1969 we might have rubbed shoulders on the dance floor; thanks to a curious twist of fate me and my mate could not get into our chosen destination, Le Metro, because if was full so Plan B kicked in and we ended up at The Rank where I met the...
  11. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Primary School

I applied for entry into the school when me and my family moved to the Lyndhurst when I was aged 10 but was refused on the basis I had only a short time to go before moving to senior school. Peg
  12. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Primary School

This pic is of inestimable historic value but it saddens me, I lived on The Lyndhurst from 1959 when I was aged 10 until I left after I got married in 1972. My memory of the school is it was a vibrant bustling place of learning, an asset to the local community not only as a place of learning but...
  13. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

My pegging out and laundry retrieval duties were not confined to daylight hours, or even seasons - on a cold winter's night, with a gale blowing, the rooftop drying area would have been the perfect training ground for an expedition to the Artic. But on a clear night there was a bonus - the...
  14. Peg Monkey

Heaton St Hockley

Superb Lyn, thanks. Peg.
  15. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

1960s - Although our flat had an electric drying cupboard my mom insisted on her laundry being dried naturally by fresh air, I was regulary press-ganged into service to assist the pegging out on the roof top drying area, I couldn't complain too loudly, she was on the rota for washing the 11...
  16. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

Lyndhurst Estate - 1960s: My family was re-homed to the Lyndhurst in the winter of 1960 (fair amoiunt of snow and ice around) from Heaton St., Hockley and not long before we moved a well-meaning elderley friend built me a sledge. The first real chance to use it came shortly after our move (not...
  17. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

My parents and me moved to The Lyndhurst in 1960 and withing weeks I had joined the 3rd Sutton Coldfield Company, The Boys' Brigade based at The Chester Rd Baptist Church, which was about 15mins walk distant. At that time I was the only lad from The Lyndhurst but within weeks my friends had...
  18. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

The Old School, with CGI seasonal enhancement - how it might have looked for at least one day in its lifetime. Peg.
  19. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

Hi Cathy, Welcome to The Forum. I lived on the Lyndhurst 1960-72, you will recall the estate was on the approach to what was then Elmdon Airport, living in a tower block, as I was, you were very close to the action when a plane passed over, particularly if you were on the roof hanging out...
  20. Peg Monkey

Heaton

Thanks Lyn, spent the first 10 years of my life in Heaton St. 1949-1959, but family connections date back much further. Peg.
Back