• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Steve Maybury

Frank Allen

It might have been even after that as I went there in those years before I left school and do not remember a crash.
  2. Steve Maybury

George Dixons Grammar School

It was Laurie Reading, I was a pal and classmate 57-64. We were cross country team mates.
  3. Steve Maybury

Rookery Road School (william Murdoch School)

Hi Jim, I just found this thread and wondered if you remember me from Rookery Road Junior school. I was there from1955-57. We are the same age and am sure we were friends at that time before I left and went to George Dixon grammar school. I emigrated to Canada in 1967 and still live here. I am...
  4. Steve Maybury

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi Judy, I used to go to the Nineveh Dance Studio every Friday night to learn how to dance in the early 60's. When did you go?
  5. Steve Maybury

Thanks, not my cousin, so he must have been in another year.
  6. Steve Maybury

You are correct. I was there 57-64. From 58 on, all at Five Ways.
  7. Steve Maybury

I saw you list, was the Mills, Robert? He is my cousin and was there at that time
  8. Steve Maybury

Hi Judy, just read your question. If she went to the junior school as I did, you are not wrong. It was mixed. The only person I remember was a blonde Susan White. That was because when they did the attendance, we had to say our surname first and White Susan stuck in my memory!!
  9. Steve Maybury

Amazing, The book was created by a classmate Laurence Reading> we were in the same "A" class from !958-64 at Five Ways. If anyone knows him, have him Contact me by using the "start Conversation" option.
  10. Steve Maybury

You must have been in my class, Contact me by using the "start Conversation" option. I always regretted having to spend 58-64 at 5 Ways. Could never understand why our "A" level class was banished! Yes we had the grocery shop at the end of Rookery road in Handsworth. I emigrated to Canada in 67...
  11. Steve Maybury

I remember Mr Winson. A favorite trick was to pick out someone acting up and go and lift the culprit from his seat by his ear.
  12. Steve Maybury

Where are you in Canada? I was at 5 ways 58-64. I am living in Kingston, Ontario, contact me by "starting a conversation"
  13. Steve Maybury

I was at Rookery road from 1955-57. took my 11+ there and went to George Dixon GS. T remember playing soccer in the playground and going over it to get the ball. I was accosted by an old man and the cops came to check it out. Fond memories of soccer and cricket, walking up Rookery rd to go to...
  14. Steve Maybury

you are right, we had the grocery shop at the end of Rookery rd, next to the greengrocery shop. Do you remember us collecting money for Oxfam, standing at the front door of the school out front at Five Ways? We collected a lot of money from all the folk on the way to work in the mornings. Did...
  15. Steve Maybury

Hi Graham, I was at Five Ways until 1964, only spent the first year at City Rd. I could never understand why the "A" form had to go there, but enjoyed all the soccer and cricket in the yard. Remember having to climb over the wall to get the ball back from time to time. I certainly remember...
  16. Steve Maybury

Camden Street Primary & George Dixons Grammar

Hi, I was a Saxon too, from 57 to 64. "A" form was banished to Five Ways in 58. Loved playing soccer and cricket in the yard, was amember of the great cross sounty team that won every race in 63/64, but sadly I got a bad case of flu in the Spring and missed out chance to win the big race in...
Back