• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

Hi rosie I also trimmed my hat for my wedding I put lace so it came over my face with white flowers,I have a passion for big hats and wish I had been born when they were worn more often.
  2. P

Rudders and Payne fire

Hi, I hope you both have a good holiday Kenny Hawkins I do remember his name but can't put a face to him,of course I remember Roger Hammond very well also I remember the man with a large growth his name i am sure was Mr Shaw he always wore a white cow gown as many managers wore,he worked in the...
  3. P

Tubes Limited

Hi Punch Dad was there i should think can't be sure about 1933/35 he also had a pal called Bill and dad went to live with them[Bills family] as my dad had just come out of the orphanage,he worked most of his service with Hercules then had his watch from Tubes. Dads name was William Banner [Bill].
  4. P

Tubes Limited

Hi thank you i would love to see the photo, hope dad is on it but still will be very emotional to see people he worked with,my mom and dad worked there that is where they met also all of Moms sisters and some of their hubby worked there ,not forgetting my nan and grandad as well. Pauline.
  5. P

Rudders and Payne fire

Hi Domino so glad you remember Alan he passed away about 5 yrs now,he had a bit of a reputation but he always looked out for me when we went to St Marys he always waited for me at break time by the huts as they[juniors] couldn't come into our play ground just to see if i was ok,the same when we...
  6. P

Tubes Limited

Hello Bazz I read you have fotos of the forge dept that you will try and post on the site maybe my dads on there can you post them to me to or tell me how to open them.I have spoken to you before my dad worked there for that long he had his gold long service watch,though some of that time he did...
  7. P

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Domino, Green is my married name my maiden name is Banner,Betty Neville well I was always a bit worried when Dad went into her shop as I was sure she had a soft spot for him,Floyds chip shop for well for years when I was small I called it flies chip shop.Our house is still there as you say...
  8. P

Rudders and Payne fire

Hi I also went to Upper Thomas street later as my mom thought we were spending to much time in church and not learning anything,Roy Elwood lived opposite our house,yes i did live in the last house but one from the woodyard,and the shop was known as Swifts their surname.Gregorys thats a blast...
  9. P

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Domino lovely to hear from someone who lived so close to us, Hubert street did you go to St Marys school did you know Roger Hammond.
  10. P

lordswood maternaty hospital

thank you for thread I am having probs reading this message as i have had to change my password I will try my best and if not i will try to contact you again again many thanks it brought back memories as my mom had her last child there as well.
  11. P

Harborne

Hi When was your sister there as i was one of the last people to have a baby there,l may know her my daughter was born September 1968.
  12. P

lordswood maternaty hospital

Hi Pam if you do get info on lords wood maternity hospital will you post pics,what is your connection l had my daughter there in 1968 they closed the doors within 2 weeks of my daughter being born.
  13. P

Tubes Limited

hello cookie you worked at Hercules the same time as my dad,my dad was there before then, my mom and dad met there and married in 1939,dad was there when they became tubes,my dads name was william banner [bill] did you know him .
  14. P

St Mary's church Aston

Re: St Mary's church Aston/Aston Brook St/Hubert St/Chester Street etc; Hi Dave Roger lived just as you turned into chester street,l would think his house backed onto Rudders&Paynes do you remember the fire Don/Dave l got dragged out of bed by a fireman the road was full of people l was...
  15. P

St Mary's church Aston

Re: St Mary's church Aston/Aston Brook St/Hubert St/Chester Street etc; Hi Don a lot of my friends lived in aston brook street,names that might ring a bell Whitcombs do you remember them,my older brother was called Alan Banner does that jog any bells[always fighting] One thing l can't workout...
  16. P

St Mary's church Aston

Hi Dave I knew Roger Hammond very well just for the record he lived in Chester street not Hubert st I lived in Hubert st but was born in chester street. All the best Dave.
  17. P

St Mary's church Aston

Hi lm sorry l may not have answered your question,my only excuse is l was not good with computers then,not brill now but better, yes the name is Purcell and betts so l kept the heading and it looks good.I think Brummies are still proud to be who we are.My old doctors was on the corner of aston...
  18. P

Tubes Limited

Hi Yes l am sure without a doubt it was Gingers wedding,as l had a bad crush on ginger as young as l was and my Dad couldn't work out why l was so moody,he was getting married, by the way my dad went straight to Hercules from the orphanage he grew up in and someone else he worked with also...
  19. P

Tubes Limited

I don't know if i am doing this right,my dads name was william banner [bill] he was a very popular man and i loved him more than anything,Ginger was his mate and l remember we went to his wedding and reception It may have been Erdington My Nans forman was a guy called Mr Silitow I don't think...
  20. P

Tubes Limited

who was this person[ Ginger ] as my dad was very friendly with someone by that name and we went to his wedding what year are you talking about.
Back