• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. blackcountrymuse

Aston Hall

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Almost everything mentioned by one poster, can be found in the many publications that have appeared over the years. Most of them however, as the writers will point out, have no proper basis in fact, and should be treated as such. Old and...
  2. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

Nothing Warren, it still won't accept any pictures from me. I have taken oldMohawks advice, and uploaded a further 23 photographs to Coppermine, if anyone can find a use for them on here, please feel free, because I can't upload from there either.
  3. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

The problem with that is, a great big message appears across the bottom of the picture, which stays with it on a download, making it unusable for use elsewhere, and obscuring any written text I may have added to it. i.e location, date, history, etc. I have used Coppermine before, but again, this...
  4. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

Warren to keep this simple, I have posted the message I receive on my facebook page. www.facebook.com/G1AJK/
  5. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

You have just done something I can't do. Congratulations oldmohawk. There is no need to remove it, it's one of my favourite spots on the Stourbridge Canal in Wordsley. It still though, doesn't answer the question I posed, as to why I can no longer post pictures from this computer directly onto...
  6. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

Yesterday Warren, I posted 21 pictures in an Album on Coppermine, all in png, and well within the file size. I can't post any of them now directly onto the Forums, when last week, I could. Nothing, as far as I know has changed this end. I have just tried again. and all I get is the error sign...
  7. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

Thanks oldMohawk, but as I have never had this problem in over ten years on other sites, or indeed on my own, I simply can't be bothered. Do let me know if you manage to bring the Forum programing up to date.
  8. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

I have now tried, png, jpg, and gif, and your Forum has rejected them all. I can take a hint, I won't be troubling you again.
  9. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

You seem to having trouble with jpg as well, as I still can't upload any pictures. Just what format will the Forum accept?
  10. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

So I can't post any pictures then, using png ?
  11. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

png Warren, and I have previuosly posted sizes up to 519 KB.
  12. blackcountrymuse

Photos - Uploading

I have already uploaded several photo's onto the Forum, but today, I can only get an Error message. I have reduced the size down to a thumbnail, and still get the same message, so it isn't the size thats the problem. I don't have problems on other sites, so whats gone wrong?
  13. blackcountrymuse

Morris Commercial Cars. Foundry Lane, Smethwick.

In 1923, E G Wrigley, who made components for the motor Industry, at their works in Foundry Lane, went bust. Morris Cars were a major user of these parts, and they were looking to expand the business. Wrigley's had over 200 machines for making parts, and a workforce of 350, so in 1924, Morris...
  14. blackcountrymuse

Jag or Rover?

I have driven/owned, at least two of these cars pictured. A Rover 100, a Jag, and a Rover 3.500.
  15. blackcountrymuse

Rover Sd1

Now I didn't work at Rover, but I used to be, in a past life, what some would call " a hairy a***d trucker ". I delivered, several times a week, parts for the production line, from around the region, and steel for the pressed bodies. I have also owned several SD1 models. The first was a 2 Litre...
  16. blackcountrymuse

Barker and Allen

What a Strange and small world we live in. My late Father-in-Law, Len Green, was, for a conciderable number of years, Gardner and Chauffeur for the Allens in Westbourne Road, Edgbaston. When he died, Mr Allen left him the house in Quinton he had purchased for Len to live in, in 1933. I met both...
  17. blackcountrymuse

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

The Bombers under construction are indeed Whitleys. Built in the Armstrong Whitworth Factory in Coventry, they look like the earlier Mk IVs. They were withdrawn from front line service in late 1942, ( Mk Vs ) and production, of the Mk VIIs for Coastal Command, ceased in June 1943. ( the RAF...
  18. blackcountrymuse

Early Radio

My Uncle, now long gone, listened to the first broadcasts of 2LO in 1922. This was the start of the BBC. During the War, he served in the Royal Navy as a Radio Operator, and was proficient in Morse Code, and a Licenced Radio Ham. He built and maintained all his own equipment, and supervised me...
  19. blackcountrymuse

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

A shaking barrel. The term was also applied to one that rotated, and would be used in the metal/iron trade. Nuts/Bolts/Screws and any small cast parts were normally a dark grey, or black when completed. Pour some sand or grit in the barrel, add the metal parts, set it off, and a few hours later...
  20. blackcountrymuse

What was in the B.C.T. Conductors Black Box

This thread is my first venture on the Forums, and I will finish off with some other things that found their way into that little Black Box. Half a packet of Cream Crackers, already spread with cheese, for they were square and fitted neatly into one corner. A Pack of 10 ciggies,( never twenty )...
Back