• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Key Hill Brian

Soho Hill

Bet the planning application to build on the site is already with the Planning Dept - happening far too frequently these days
  2. Key Hill Brian

Lynne Webb RIP

Going to leave a big hole at the Forum Meet ups - Lovely Lady- she will be greatly missed.
  3. Key Hill Brian

Austin Village, Turves Green

Was up and down there for several years when my cousin lived in the adjacent flats - very nice - believe they were Canadian timber houses?
  4. Key Hill Brian

Public graves at Warstone Lane

Hi Lily Mae, Headstones were and still are expensive, as are private graves. Most working class people struggle with day to day living, and there fore can only afford, a Public Grave, This is akin to "renting" a room in a tower block of flats instead of owning a detached house. May of the public...
  5. Key Hill Brian

Esther Hudson

Hi Lily Mae, Headstones were and still are expensive, as are private graves. Most working class people struggle with day to day living, and there fore can only afford, a Public Grave, This is akin to "renting" a room in a tower block of flats instead of owning a detached house. May of the public...
  6. Key Hill Brian

It will be behind the wall that is at the rear of the old Mint building. No headstones on Public Graves.
  7. Key Hill Brian

Esther Hudson

It will be behind the wall that is at the rear of the old Mint building. No headstones on Public Graves.
  8. Key Hill Brian

the star and garter

So many people are "poor" these days - but back than it was a real hardship - No mobile phones, Play stations, take aways, benefits, etc. - Whenever we visited - us kids had to play in the yard, or sit in the corner and be quiet - though she did occasionally offer me snuff! - by the time I was...
  9. Key Hill Brian

the star and garter

Your Gt Gran - Caroline Farmer/ Southwell / Savage is my own Paternal Gran! Annie Selvey / Savage was a daughter of William Thomas Selvey who married my gran in 1935. His wife had died and his children were in Barnado's homes (sent to London?) My Grand dad had died in WW1 and gran had raised 9...
  10. Key Hill Brian

Little king st hockley

There was a Mr & Mrs Jarvis at 73 Little King St - nest to the entry 3 doors from where we lived at 79. Mr Dodd died died whilst on the outside toilet - Fireman had to chop to door as he had fallen against it, stopping it opening. Mrs Cross ran the little shop which was at 83 or 85 ?? Little...
  11. Key Hill Brian

BHF EASTER MEET UP 2023

Great day - some old faces, some faces - been far too long since the last - roll on the next!
  12. Key Hill Brian

Talk on WW2 at the BMI on 13/2

I was looking forward to coming to this, but sadly have an appointment which means I will miss it. Was hoping to hear the differance between Bomber Harris v Goring for "Effective" bombing tactics that worked? Maybe catch a repeat some time?
  13. Key Hill Brian

BHF EASTER MEET UP 2023

Fingers crossed I will be there - cheers Vicky for the heads up!
  14. Key Hill Brian

Key Hill Cemetery

This gravestone sits at the junction of 4 very deep, large graves. Each side has 2 columns - the grave number is at the top of each column. The graves were the Cheaper graves for people who could not afford to purchase their own - think of them as blocks of flats v detached houses. People...
  15. Key Hill Brian

Chamberlain family

Correct!
  16. Key Hill Brian

Icknield Street Alert!

Viv you have to remember Icknield st was 1 lane wide each way - the bit of road on the right of the pic. Before it was widened - this half of the dual carriageway was the 10 buildings shown on the map below from the church to the corner. You would be standing in some ones back yard back in the...
  17. Key Hill Brian

St George's Church Newtown

Would have loved to see it before it was demolished
  18. Key Hill Brian

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Hi Anne, Do not come on often so only just saw this thread. My Maternal Gran's 1st husband is on the memorial - Walter Edwin Knight. (I am from her 2nd husband) His surviving son Wilfred Henry George emigrated to Australia in 1956 with his family. One of his son's (David Knight) eventually...
  19. Key Hill Brian

Lodge Hill Cemetery

1b Raddlebarn road is the official postal Address of Selly oak Hospital, recently demolished and a new housing estate built upon the site
  20. Key Hill Brian

The Registers (held at Handsworth Cemetery start at Burial 1and are continued (even today there are odd burials in existing family plots). If the Burial is in a Public Grave, Midland Ancestors (ex BMSGH) have on their computer in Margaret St the ability to list all in a known single grave - The...
Back