• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Writing on the back of an old photo

Hi tried to put the message from the photo up last night but struggled to do it, will have more time the weekend so will try again. Thankyou for everyones tips though. Adele
  2. A

Hi all we scaned it and darkened it as sugested. it has brought up the words we know but again not two words. Will try and atttach the post card see if any one can do better than us. Mmmmm let see if I can work this out if not will send it later. Adele
  3. A

Well thankyou for that, will give it a go. Will let you know if iot works. Adele
  4. A

Winson Green prison

Hi had a relative in prision at Winston Green Prison in 1911, can anyone tell me if I could get his records to see what he had done. He was from Aston and up till that point had a good buisness in the area. Im researching the family at Birmingham Central Library would they hold these records...
  5. A

Hello anyone able to give me a few ideas on how to read very faded pencil lead message on the back of a photo. The photo is from about 1910 give or take a few years. We can read bits of the message, if I can read the other line I think it will give me a clue to who is on the photo . Thanks...
  6. A

Birmingham Newspaper Archives

Hi again so the details we have are that he died on the 10 dec 1916. Will try and find anythink if I can. Just dont rely on me finding it though. I found the newspapers very hard work but will keep looking when I go. The library is moving the archive and 6th floor bits down to another floor in...
  7. A

Map of Aston manor

Phil thats great thanks, gives me the roads just as I wanted. thankyou Adele
  8. A

Map of Aston manor

Hi any one point me in the direction of finding a map of Aston manor about 1911, doent matter if its earlier. Most of the street names are still in the area today but odd roads went with redevelopment. Trying to figure out where the family lived, mostly around Clifford St and William St. Ta...
  9. A

John Whybrow Photos

Fantastic love to see his other work. Adele
  10. A

John Whybrow Photos

Do you know the names of any of these books, like to see if the library could get hold of them. The two pictures I have are really good, one is of Aston cross and the other an outdoor in Devonshire Street Birmingham. Think I made a good purchase and am looking forward to them going on my wall...
  11. A

John Whybrow Photos

Great thanks will take a look. I must say I was really taken with what I bought, Im pleased i did get them. Adele
  12. A

Birmingham Newspaper Archives

Hello if someone can help to give me ideas where to look I would have a go at searching for you. Would need more details though as I once looked at the obituries for a relative. Not an easy task . If you want to send more details, I will see what I can do. Adele
  13. A

John Whybrow Photos

Hello Does any one know about a photograher called John Whybrow. Today when looking in a charity shop I came across two wonderful large photos in nice frames of photos in aston, because of my family connection with Aston I bought them for under ten pounds. Im not bothered about if they are...
  14. A

Jewish burails

Hi any one be able to tell me where I would find out about Jewish burials between 1920 and 1950. I guess it would be in Birmingham, the family lived in Aston. Harry hunt b 1870 wasnt born into the Jewish faith so could I find out when he converted. Thanks Adele :)
  15. A

Temple family

Thanks you for the answer although im slightly more confussed now haha. He wasnt born in to the catholic faith so he must have converted at some point. Will have to try and get to the catholic records in Birmingham. Many thanks again for taking time to fill me in once again. Adele
  16. A

Temple family

Opps sorry bout that pressed the wrong button. I was saying the family were babtised and married in C OF E churches. So please someone help why was Guliemi infront of Temple, his name was William. Ta Adele
  17. A

Temple family

Hi Thanks for that. What I dont understand is the word Guliemi. Its not infront of most names but seems to be on the Temple family. I have tried to look the word up but havent found what it means. I wondered if they were catholic but I
  18. A

Temple family

Hello Was wondering if any one can help me, I have info on births for the family I know where they were born but the entries on the family research site read as parents being Guliemi Temple and Elizae Kindon. That being William Temple and Eliza Kindon. I have found this on births in Birmingham...
  19. A

Woolwich Barracks

Hello, I realise Woolwich Barracks is way outside our area, I had a relative who served as a corparal back in 1860 in London. Would any one be able to point me the direction of a web site that might hold more info on the men serving at this time. Thanks Adele:)
  20. A

St Clements Church Nechells

Great thanks for that, I tried to see if I could see if St Clements had been mentioned before but couldnt see anything. Adele
Back