• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Has anybody read Bournville by Jonathan Coe? Well worth a read. Fictional characters in familiar settings. Based on significant events starting with VE day. All inspired by his mother's life.
  2. C

its jayells birthday

Happy birthday. Have a lovely day. Carolann
  3. C

its mikejees birthday

Happy birthday Mike. Enjoy your day Carolann
  4. C

Donations

Thank you for all the work you all do to keep the forum running so smoothly. I get so much pleasure from being a member. It is informative, amusing and helpful. I have just made another donation. Keep up the good work connecting us all wherever the Brummie diaspora now live. Carolann
  5. C

Groups We Have Seen Live

When I was at Cardinal Wiseman I remember listening to Stevie and Muff Winwood and their group from the outside a type of community centre near to the School, during our lunchbreak.
  6. C

Groups We Have Seen Live

I remember seeing them at a youth club dance in Sutton when I was about 13
  7. C

Haynes Greengrocery vans

Was there a Haynes/Haines greengrocers shop on Sutton Parade in 1950s? I have a vague recollection of the name.
  8. C

Its Astoness’s (Lyn) birthday

I hope you enjoyed your day. Carolann
  9. C

Bluebell Wood

I remember the blue bell wood in Rectory Park Sutton Coldfield. As a child I also used to pick them and take them home.
  10. C

Sutton Park

Thank you. I will search for that. Carolann
  11. C

Sutton Park

I love the poster. It would be great to have a copy of that to frame.
  12. C

Today is Jackie Pritchatt's birthday

Happy birthday. Enjoy your day Carolann
  13. C

In the garden 2022

I read it on BBC online news pages It give Hedgehogs diarrhoea.
  14. C

Low Moor Edgbaston School of Domestic Science Hagley Road

I wonder if it was a forerunner of my old college, Birmingham College of Food and Domestic Arts?
  15. C

Trevor Eve

And Waking the Dead
  16. C

Plume Street

My grandmother was their eldest sister Mabel. I met all my great Aunts and some of their children, my mum's cousins, and some of their children. If you want to get in touch to find out more about the Hopes send me a private message and we can exchange email addresses.
  17. C

Plume Street

Was your Grandmother's maiden name Hope? The Rachel, Nell, Priscilla (Cis) and Floss who were my great Aunts, had the maiden name Hope.
  18. C

Donations

Thank you to everyone who runs and maintains the site. I have just made another donation. Carolann
  19. C

fish and chip shops

When I taught in Plaistow in London's East End, the local chip shop used to sell the pupils half a loaf, hollowed out and filled with chips. It was very popular at lunchtime.
  20. C

Any old Brummies moved to the USA?

Yes I remember a lovely dress my aunt sent me so different from the ones Mum could afford. I also remember their visits to Sutton when my uncle was stationed in Germany. He had a big American car and showed us how to make Pizza(unheard of in late 50s Sutton). Their life seemed so glamorous and...
Back