• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Ray T

fish and chip shops

Yes, I used to love roe and chips. It was fish eggs, wasn't it?
  2. Ray T

NATIONAL TRUST BACK TO BACKS AND MEMORIES OF OUR BACK TO BACKS

Our 1950s back-to-back in Sparkbrook was infested with the little devils.
  3. Ray T

Chess matches in Birmingham

When I played Birmingham club chess back in the 1960s Tal was a hero of mine. He'd sacrifice pieces in seemingly harmless positions and force resignations after lengthy attacks. He was brilliant.
  4. Ray T

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

Tales From The Riverbank, voice-overed by Johnny Morris. My father was a keen fisherman and he once took the day off work to watch it, expecting it to be all about angling. He was most disappointed to find it featured various live action animals running about or riding on model speedboats.
  5. Ray T

Old street pics..

Thank you very much for all your information on "Hicky" and Joyce, Jenni. It's always great to know how people got on after partings of the ways. Our family moved from Long St to Acocks Green around 1965, so that would have been the last time we used the chippy. I hope you're enjoying life in...
  6. Ray T

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

This was a new on on me. Some days ago I went to check my emails with Virgin Media. I clicked on the menu page prior to selecting email and box appeared with a message telling me my usual email had been discontinued and I was to click on a tab that would allow me to start a brand new email...
  7. Ray T

Its Astoness’s (Lyn) birthday

Wishing you a very happy birthday, Lyn.
  8. Ray T

Mystery of missing Birmingham Boulders

Apart from the ones mentioned above, there was one such rock in Farm Park, off Farm Rd in Sparkbrook. In the 1950s we kids used to climb on it and we were convinced it was a meteorite. I don't think it's still there.
  9. Ray T

I recently received an email supposedly from Amazon informing me I'd been allocated a Prime account that would automatically bill me for so much a month unless I chose to opt out. It provided a link to a site that would let me opt out if I wished. Having an Amazon account, I admit I did click to...
  10. Ray T

Woolworths Memories

I can't remember the branch of Woollies my mother took me to as a boy. Was there one in Ladypool Rd? I do remember the women at their tills stuffing pound notes and fivers into those strange capsules which were then whisked away to some mysterious place via a series of vacuum tubes. And I...
  11. Ray T

No birds in my garden....

Most of my local sparrows and blackbirds have gone AWOL too, leaving the robins and tits. But I've noticed this happens every summer with them returning by autumn. My guess is that with food plentiful, they head out away from the traffic and humans to enjoy the greenery of summer. They come back...
  12. Ray T

For a few weeks now, I've been receiving and deleting daily emails asking me to click various tabs for "confirmation" of loans or vote for some cause or other. They're obviously bogus because they all use a short nickname derived from my email address, not even the full name. Somebody out there...
  13. Ray T

Golden Hillock Road School

Yes, Dave, I think the group are standing in front of the teachers' staff room. I remember that window as the one Mr Matthews the music teacher glared at me through right after I'd slung a snowball that hit his car, maybe 1963-64. Matthews was one of the cane-happy teachers and I got sore hands...
  14. Ray T

That's happened to me because I opted for the next day free delivery. It's sneaky of them. If I recall, I was able to cancel Prime very quickly by putting up my account page and deselecting it. If you choose the delayed, free delivery, you can avoid Prime and the goods usually arrive within a...
  15. Ray T

Golden Hillock Road School

So long ago now. The only name that rings a bell there is Mr Timmins.
  16. Ray T

Steam Sheds

So sad. Saltley shed was the Mecca for train spotters of the area back in the 50s-early 60s.
  17. Ray T

Sorry you've had trouble with that site, Pete. It's a good idea to check the customer satisfaction rating of whoever you're buying from. I do that and thankfully haven't had any trouble for years. A good rating should be at least close to 100%.
  18. Ray T

Our childhood toys

Heh, heh, I always toted my spud gun. I'd never dream of going out unarmed.
  19. Ray T

It's Lyn's (Astoness) Birthday

Wishing you a very happy birthday, Lyn.
  20. Ray T

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

I recall a model shop on the Stratford Road in the late 50s/early 60s. It was near the Main Street/Long Street junctions on the opposite side to the Farm Road one. I used to stare longingly at the Hornby locos in the window, which were to expensive for my pocket money. There were Meccano kits...
Back