• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Church Road, Yardley, 1950's

I lived near Yardley Old Church for nearly 40 years. I remember Glynn Vaughan having the antique shop (far right) and the barbers? If my memory serves me well the two businesses had doors (at an angle) that almost faced each other. We lived with my parents and grandparents and Glynn was a...
  2. C

Birmingham Arms In Digbeth

Hi - I’m here. Intrigued to know who you are.
  3. C

Cockshut Hill School

I remember seeing Mr Daniels the maths teacher there. He never got my name right in all the time I went to Cockshut and he even got it wrong on that day- some 15 years later. I obviously didn't make an impression.
  4. C

Cockshut Hill School

Oh. I've obviously got that wrong. It was about 25 years ago. They had a big celebration at the school. I guess it must have been 50 years then. What a plonker.
  5. C

Sweets We Used To Have

Frys? used to make a bar similar to Frys chocolate creme but it had a different fruit flavour in each segment. Then there were Texan bars - "a Texan takes time to chew" :-) and sherbet pips, midget gems, flying saucers, pineapple rock, imps, chocolate limes, dib dabs, Old Jamaica (rum flavoured...
  6. C

Cockshut Hill School

I don't suppose anyone knows how I can lay my hands on a copy of the panoramic school photos that were taken in the mid-late 70s. As I recall they took upper and lower separately. I know when I went back to the school for their 100 year celebrations they had them on display.
  7. C

I saw this picture of the Birmingham Arms hanging on the wall in the Woodman Pub in Curzon Street. I'm happy to say I got a copy and it now takes pride of place in my home.
  8. C

Apple Tart Shop Greenway Street

Sorry but I'm not sure whether Mary's book is still available. I do a bit of delving and see what I can find out.
  9. C

Apple Tart Shop Greenway Street

Mary Donoghue was my aunt. Sadly she's no longer with us but she was a great story teller.
  10. C

Scala Cinema

My great aunt - Madelaine Whitby was an usherette at the Scala and she worked with a Manager? called John Green. I think my grandmother also worked there for a short time. This would have been in the early 50s I guess.
  11. C

Birmingham Cinemas

There was a cinema called the ABC Bristol Road. My hubby and I arrived there late to see McVicar starring Roger Daltry. The cinema was full with the exception of two front seats. Despite the prospect of permanent neck damage we crept down the aisle, apologising to everyone as the usherette...
  12. C

Birmingham Cinemas

I must have seen one of the last films to be screened at the Capitol in Ward End. It was disastrous. Not only was I scared out if my wits when something brushed against my leg (of all things, a flipping cat in the auditorium), but we also ended up sitting in our coats all the way through the...
  13. C

Birmingham Odeon

It was a sad day when we could no longer see rock concerts at the Odeon. In the late 70s/early eighties I was lucky to see Sabbath, ACDC, Scorpions, Motorhead, Rush, Def Leppard, Go West (in fact it felt like I saw a concert every week in those days). I also remember watching Pink Floyd's Wall...
  14. C

Cockshut Hill School

I went to Cockshut from 73 to 82. I remember Mr Daniels (maths). Both Jones' who taught science. Mr Jolley was Headmaster. Mr Reeves taught gym/sport (to the boys). In my class/year were: Dawn Ruston Christine Peckover Gail Cash Lorraine Horwich Sandra Bell Carol Sulway Helen Griffiths...
  15. C

Raleigh tysley

I worked in the offices of TI Reynolds when I left school. In those days you barely needed an interview - if you knew someone who worked there you just turned up on the Monday morning. I got my job because my grandad was Steward at the Reynolds Social Club in Tanworth Lane, Shirley. I stayed...
  16. C

Church Road, Yardley.

My family and I lived between the Carmelite Monastery (next to the Ring O Bells) and Blakesley Road - from 1965 until approximately ten years ago. The Yew Tree shopping centre (as we used to call it) was our regular haunt. I was a Woolies Girl during my school holidays - a time when I...
  17. C

Rag Market

As a "rock chick" teenager in the late seventies/early eighties I can remember saving up my first few months wages so I could buy an afghan coat from the Oasis. I was so pleased when I'd saved enough to buy it but my enthusiasm soon waned when noone would sit next to me on the number 17 bus...
  18. C

From the information imparted to me over the years, I know that my family and I lived in the Birmingham Arms around 1962 (when I was born). I was christened at St Martins and was reared on a diet of fresh fruit from the market and raw sausages from the slaughter house next door. My grand...
Back