• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. pistonvalve

A Play On Loco Numbers

Hi All, Looking through my LMS numbers spotted 1954-1958 on the Aston - Stechford branch at 'grassy banks' high level ( Aston Church Road) two numbers stand out: Jubilee: 45678 De Robeck 4F: 44444 I believe these were from local sheds at the time. Are these number sequences unique in the BR...
  2. pistonvalve

Duck8 Smoke Box number plate?

Hi, Think we all remember the duck8's from Aston/Bescot sheds referred to G2 or G2A. Can anybody explain why there was no smoke box number plate fitted? Mike.
  3. pistonvalve

James Hardy - Canadian Pacific Railways 1906

Hi, My great, great Uncle emigrated to Canada in 1906 and worked on the railway as a fire man. Can somebody advise how to obtain his record. I believe his early days were in Ontario. Thank you for any advice. Mike.
  4. pistonvalve

Strategic Steam reserve...

Hi, I quote this comment as seen. "Aren't the sidings being kept in case they are needed for commissioning locomotives from the strategic steam reserve which is stored nearby under Box Hill?" Is this fact myth? I know some years ago this was discussed as it was rumoured Patriot class...
  5. pistonvalve

The City of Birmingham - 46235

Hi All, What is the latest on the 'semi' I have heard rumour it could be brought back to life. What do you think? Where is the loco now? Mike.
  6. pistonvalve

Re-open LSWR main line from Plymouth to Exeter

Hi All, We have all seen the devastation of the main line from Exeter to Plymouth at Dawlish which will take months to repair thus cutting off Plymouth and Cornwall from Rail. The old LSWR (SR) main line is still largely intact with just a short section from Bere Alston to Meldon removed...
  7. pistonvalve

BBC Great Train Robbers... programme

Hi All, The railway content was as usual in error!! The loco used in the robbery was a class 40 yet the loco shown last night was a class 37 with the class 40 number! There was no resemblances to the WCML. The acting was good. Mike.
  8. pistonvalve

Worcestershire Railways Site

Hi all, my partner (a woman would you believe!) found this site by accident!! Had a look and thought it worthy of posting on this forum - https://www.miac.org.uk/index.htm Regards.
  9. pistonvalve

York-Swansea TPO train 1950's

I believe the York - Swansea TPO train went through Birmingham at night. Does anybody know the route it took? I think it went via Aberystwyth where it reversed. Thanks for any info.:)
  10. pistonvalve

Departures from Euston on Sunday's 195o's

Has any body out there got a copy of Bradshaw's. I would like to know the the title of the two expresses that left Euston after the Royal Scot within 15 Minuit's of each other - One to Manchester the other to Liverpool. We used to see them on Sundays on the Stetchford - Aston line between...
  11. pistonvalve

Pines Express 1950's

Does anybody remember this Manchester - Bournemouth working that arrived at New St at about 1pm. We train spotters on the end of platform 6 used to see it arrive from Manchester via the Proof-house Junction end usually pulled by a Scot or Pate. What type of engine would take it forward from...
  12. pistonvalve

Automatic Half Barrier Crossings

In light of the recent fatal accident at Moreton on Lugg, Herefordshire (BBC Midlands Today) you might be interested in this email I sent to Nick Owen of Midlands Today: Hi Nick, Thought you might like to know I had a very near miss at the crossing next one along North at Marden in 1988/89...
  13. pistonvalve

Aston - Stechford special

:)1955 -1956 special Aston Stechford Bham -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, can anyone help with information? Saturday's about 1.15pm in the 'up' direction a passenger train containing RAF personnel ran for several weeks usually 6P or 7P...
Back