• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. pistonvalve

A Certain Train Of Thought

Just read this post on the Locomotive City of Birmingham 46235. I remember seeing this engine in the 60's at the old science museum, I believe in order but without tender? I wonder if there is any possibility of bringing this loco back to life fully working! It seems to me such a pity...
  2. pistonvalve

A Play On Loco Numbers

Thank you Heartland for that info. Whilst bunking Bromsgrove shed (mid 50's) I saw 69999 the LNER Garrett, now this number is divisible by '3' but the interesting number is '9' whose product sum is always equal to 9, i.e. 12X9= 108 now 1+0+8=9. 7X9=63, 6+3=9. The mathematicians amongst us...
  3. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Hi Dave, I always remember 5509 being un-rebuilt. Mike. https://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/media-gallery/detail/383/416
  4. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Hi Charles, I went to Leigh Road school then Thornton Road school. I don't remember your father's taxi parked outside. But I remember about 4 oc. on the Midland up line the quadruple header light engine movement and two double header's soon after. Usually a mix of 9F, 8F all on the main...
  5. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Hi Charles, Interesting picture of Highfield Road looks like it was taken at the Alum Rock end. I used to walk down Aston Church Road under the single line branch bridge and enter 'grassy banks' as we called it through a gate in the fence then under the Aston Stechford line to a point by the...
  6. pistonvalve

aston sheds

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/ Yes that was the one, single line protected by a very old LNWK lower quadrant signal by the box. Sorry Charles, I don't remember any of the friends you recall. If you visit Warwickshire railways there are 5 pics. of the signal box and junction which will...
  7. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Hi Charles, In the mid 50's was off school with a cold I recorded the traffic from early morning to late evening there were 24 up/down freights and one passenger - the 7.30am local and return at 7,45am, the record has long since gone!. Do you remember the 7.30pm shunt down the branch? to...
  8. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Welcome aboard chazchas, Lived in Highfield Road and could see the line as it went through Wardend Park. Used to watch the down distant signal from my bedroom window especially on a Sunday Morning to see if there was a diversion on. After the electrification I witnessed the closing of the...
  9. pistonvalve

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

I have heard rumors that the viaduct could be repaired and used in conjunction with HS2, presumably as a service connection? Mike.
  10. pistonvalve

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

I remember some track over the viaduct was connected to the Snow Hill line. The viaduct was meant to bring the line from Oxford to Curzon Street station but was never completed. Mike.
  11. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Alan, the Aston- Stechford line is still used. The recent fire at the scrap metal place by the line as shown on midlands TV, a freight hauled by a class 67 on the up line. I am not sure about Trent Valley diversions since Tamworth - Stafford was quadrupled. Some body on here may know of...
  12. pistonvalve

aston sheds

HI Alan, Yes it was, I would love to see the train registers for Washwood Heath box on the Aston-Stetchford line (grassy banks high level) just to see what I have missed on diversion days. What happened to these registers I wonder? Mike.
  13. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Yes Dave, No 6 end where we all went, close to the Midland side. Going out the first junction was 'Proof House' where I spent an hour or two working the levers mid 60's. My two legged spotting came just after!! No ABC to underline here. Mike.
  14. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Hi Dave, if my memory serves me right 1956 - 1958. I was there too on the end of No6 Mike.
  15. pistonvalve

aston sheds

The high level was the Aston-Stetchford line and the low level the Midland - New St Derby line. Somebody on here will surly remember the local 'club' 'stovepipe' club I think. A coach used to pick up a load of us on the corner of Aston Church Road - Washwood Heath Road early on a Sunday...
  16. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Well Grassy Banks was just off Aston Church Road parallel to the Aston Stechford line where the Midland dissected. My favourite spot was under the arches opposite where you were Dave, the banker siding was the other side over the brook. I still remember the 11oc, B1 and the 1.15pm 'Devonian'...
  17. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Yes I remember 'Grassy Banks' Spent many years spotting there between 1951 and 1958. The Aston-Stetchford line had some rare stuff on. 1957 Saturday, June, about 1.15pm 72009 Clan Stewart came through with a passenger train full of RAF personnel in uniform! And of course those diversions...
  18. pistonvalve

A Play On Loco Numbers

Hi All, Looking through my LMS numbers spotted 1954-1958 on the Aston - Stechford branch at 'grassy banks' high level ( Aston Church Road) two numbers stand out: Jubilee: 45678 De Robeck 4F: 44444 I believe these were from local sheds at the time. Are these number sequences unique in the BR...
  19. pistonvalve

Duck8 Smoke Box number plate?

Hi, Think we all remember the duck8's from Aston/Bescot sheds referred to G2 or G2A. Can anybody explain why there was no smoke box number plate fitted? Mike.
  20. pistonvalve

Tamworth field trainspotting

Looking at some photographs c1948/1953 the up platform splitting starter fitted with miniature 'pegs' and adjacent was a very tall signal with a repeater 'peg' controlling the up main. This signal was removed before my time at the field, I am told the 'clangers' cry referred to the noise made...
Back