• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. PGS4038

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

I think the telescope was operating when I left.
  2. PGS4038

does anyone else remember Tony Hale, the English teacher and musician. While he was at Lordswood he was a sales rep. for the Melotron which was the instrument that gave the Moody Blues, King Crimson and others their string ensemble sound. I left Lordswood in 68 and in 73 joined the BBC in...
  3. PGS4038

Faraday then A stream. I can't remember him in 6th. I was in Science.
  4. PGS4038

I was at Lordswood 1961-67. I was a friend of 1960s legend London John/Johnny Parka, who went to Stanmore Road which is now part of George Dixons. I never liked school. My fault, not theI was in Faraday and there was a Pete(r) Williams in my form. It's sad to think it could be the same person...
  5. PGS4038

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

My Grandad wore shirts with separate collars. I remember going to exchange them for freshly laundered and starched collars at the collar shop on Stephenson Street, by New Street station. They were delivered in waxed card boxes of seven.
  6. PGS4038

I was at Lordswood from 62-69 and just about survived. Faraday House and 6th form Science for ever!
  7. PGS4038

Think Tank

I spent most of my young Saturdays at Newhall Street. I would get a return train to Snow Hill from Soho & Winson Green station, then do some trainspotting at Snow Hill and /or New street and then if it was cold, spend the afternoon in the Engineering Hall at the science museum. The highlight...
  8. PGS4038

Thompson Radio & Tv Handsworth

In the 60s I lived in Victoria Road, Handsworth. Around the corner on Nineveh Road was Thompsons radio & TV repair shop where Prashar's is now? Does anyone remember what happened to Mr Thompson from Barbados originally, or to his associates / employees who worked from there, "Whippy" was one of...
  9. PGS4038

Fisher & Ludlows factory

My Dad, Denis Smith was a production controller at Fishers through the 60s. His brother Sid did the same job on nights.
Back