• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

In the 1841 Census I believe my gt grandfather is listed as a member of the 5th Division of the Birmingham Police Force (Crooked Lane?) but when he got married in 1843 his occupation is listed as "Heavy Steel Toy Maker". ALthough it is entirely feasible the person I have found in the 1841 is not...
  2. S

Gregory - Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace - 1881 Census

You can clearly see 12, 11, 10, the middle section (toilets/washhouse?) and then 9 and so on. Number 10 (and 9) seem to have its edging stones painted white.
  3. S

Cavemans' photograph is excellent and answers some of my questions, thanks. SO the image shows 209 as his tobacconist, the numbers on the plan are the actual 2 storey houses, with a yard at the front.
  4. S

Thank you to Caveman and especially to pjmburns! Can anyone explain how the "back of" worked. If, for example no 8, was back of 209 as shown in pjmburns' second image, how did one access no 8, which face was the front, which the back, in the image was the small box with 8/209 written in it the...
  5. S

Does anyone recall a Gt Western Terrace, in the 1881 Census Alfred Gregory (my Great Grandfather) and family are listed at Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace. It has obviously disappeared now but would be interested if anyone knows where it was and if there are any pictures/maps of it. Regards...
  6. S

The Great Western Icknield Street Hockley

Does anyone recall a Gt Western Terrace, in the 1881 Census Alfred Gregory (my Great Grandfather) and family are listed at Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace. It has obviously disappeared now but would be interested if anyone knows where it was and if there are any pictures/maps of it. Regards...
  7. S

Kidderminster Place, Park Road, Hockley Hill - Alfred Edwin Gould - 1907

My Uncle's birth (30 May 1907) place is given as 9 Kidderminster Place, Park Road, Hockley Hill. Kidderminster Place does not seem to now exist, does anybody know where on Park Road Kidderminster Place was? All assistance gratefully accepted. Stephen Gould
Back