• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Attempted assassination of Napoleon III

I'm currently reading a very funny, and informative book by Stephen Clarke, called: ''1000 Years of Annoying the French''. He mentions an assassination attempt made by a group of Italian nationalists exiled in Britain, in 1858. Apparently they commissioned a BIRMINGHAM engineer to make them...
  2. J

Fischer's watch and clock parts.

Does anyone have any information regarding the old firm of Fischers; they sold watch and clock parts. As a child I visited the shop on a Saturday morning, with a list of watch/clock-parts required by my father. Because of my unstable mememory, I can recall the shop itself, and the eccentric...
  3. J

Pic' restore & info' please!

Could someone please have a go at improving this faded old photo' please? It is my father's Great Uncle Tom. I'd also appreciate any ideas as to his regiment/date? His shako/hat is on the chair etc. He had rather a colourful history, which I'll write-up at a later date. Thank you. Regards...
  4. J

Photo-restore Please!

Can anyone please have a go at improving this damaged pic of my father? Thank you :) Photo' should be facing left too, I don't know how I've managed to get it back-to-front. Not that I suppose it matters...
  5. J

''Dirty Rascal!''

I was watching some lambs playing in the field today...they were jumping onto a hay bale, and pushing each other off it. It reminded me of playing 'King of the Castle' : ''I'm the King of the castle and you're a dirty rascal: a thief, a vagabond and a traitor prepare to meet thy maker!'' Does...
  6. J

Gudgeon family.

Does anyone know of any 'Gudgeon' family in Brum ? Ta, JohnO.
  7. J

The Backyard Bar

Does anyone remember The Backyard Bar, it was beyond Colmore Row, just up from the Art Gallery, if my memory serves? It was just a small place, but quite (as I then thought ) 'sophisticated' ...it had Chesterfield sofas and club-chairs and discreet, 'cool' music. Come to think of it, it reads...
  8. J

Tennal Hall

Does anyone have any photographs of Tennal Hall, near Harborne? I have a large iron key that was the front-door key to the Hall. Any pics, or information concerning the Hall, would be much appreciated, Thanks.
  9. J

Oswin

I'm seeking information concerning the Oswin family of Bilhay Street, Smethwick, formerly of Coventry and latterly of HillTop, West Bromwich. Thank you.
  10. J

Oswin

I'm seeking information about the Oswin family of Bilhay Street, Smethwick; previously of Coventry and, latterly of HillTop, West Bromwich. Thank you.
Back