• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Qu.Be

Soho Road toy and model shop

Does anybody remember the brilliant toy shop that was on Soho Road in Handsworth around 1970? It was not far from the Grove Lane junction and the premises became, I think, Sketchley's the drycleaners; it was close to the 70/74/79 bus stop heading into town. I have very faint memories and would...
  2. Qu.Be

Soho Road Handsworth

The head obviously didn't want you seeing HIM setting up shots on the green baize. I remember there was a snooker hall, but it was way before my time at the grammar.
  3. Qu.Be

Jones Gladys & George shop & licensed premises

That #29 in this picture looks as if it has the line of the guttering at its westerly end that can be seen on the original image. Very nice sourcing! That's a great shot, too.I'm guessing it was taken around 4pm 'in the summer', but it's late and I'm away t'm'pit; unless you've got more...
  4. Qu.Be

They seem a friendly enough bunch, don't they? Wanting to know more, I followed the link and was accepted as a group member. I'm hoping we can get some further images via Walsall-specific groups; I'm looking for higher-definition on the property to reproduce details as enhancing the original...
  5. Qu.Be

I got in touch with the owner of the image who says the property was 29 Lichfield Road, Shelfield, Walsall. The building is no longer standing, but features such a lintels and mouldings can be seen on #17 and #51.
  6. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

You're more than welcome – it meant I avoided ironing, too :-D QB
  7. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

-
  8. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Thought I'd give it a try (it's raining hard and I was due to be outside). I stopped when I ran out of proof as to what I was doing was nearly right, although I reckoned there was the look of Adam Ant in the original – maybe I could sync *him* in... QB
  9. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

I don't think we could ask for much more unless the glass can come off without damage*thumbs up*
  10. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Excellent! Good to meet you. I shall have a search right away. I've been with Gimp since v2.6 but really got using it again from 2.10 onwards when bump-mapping and displacement went onto the main screen – that doesn't mean I know a great deal about image restoration though; I'm more into Gimp...
  11. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Which photo editor were you trying? (I'm wondering about trying a Linux Windowsalike, Windowsfx 11, being an old UNIX/Linux hack, by the by – although this is getting WAY off thread). QB
  12. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Thanks, Lady P., that's a really kind thought – very much obliged.
  13. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Brondrange/Jim – nice piece of work, by the way. What are you using for image processing?
  14. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

That was the difficulty I had (and there wasn't much of the period in that road either). Thanks for the effort though, nonetheless!
  15. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

VERY nice – thank you very much. I was thinking 'can't see for looking', but the name isn't printed on the map version I was checking! I've driven right over the plot a few times, I reckon, thanks to Spaghetti Junction. I was hoping the road was a little further north and had been spared the...
  16. Qu.Be

Photo Repair Please

Hi, any idea where Bridge Road is/was? I'm not showing anything up for the area (or surrounding districts) even on maps of the time.
  17. Qu.Be

Pubs And Clubs Of The 70s And 80s

Never could work out how to get into the Outrigger!
  18. Qu.Be

st stephens primary

Ta One letter wrong in 50 years ain't so bad though! Specially as mi mum always called him Mr Bathrobe...
  19. Qu.Be

st stephens primary

I was there for a bit in the mid 70s, for my sins. Had John Honey as a teacher in junior 4. He was a right showman; I remember him teaching us a hymn and singing the first line, sweeping his hand into the air like he was doing opera. One day he took our power ball and spent some time throwing it...
  20. Qu.Be

Open 'Till Midnight Fish & Chip Shop, Soho Rd

325? That was by the bus stop. I wasn't around in the 50s, but the chippy was well placed for getting off the bus from a night drinking in town and getting in something to eat before heading home, in the early- and mid-1980s. It was a much-reduced establishment from the one described above and...