• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

National Lorry Driver of the year Award - late '50's/early '60's................

I can well remember the late sixties onwards when our Drivers (Shell Mex & BP) started the local elimination tests then the final chosen few who attended the Finals. The Drivers were allowed time off deliveries to prepare their vehicle which always included raiding our Vehicle spares stores for...
  2. N

Private Messages

Hope it’s nothing to do with facebook being down :)
  3. N

Birmingham buses

Mechanical govenors saved our later Ford engined coaches from engine siezures as our Drivers had worked out that removing the air cleaner hose off the venturi increased the engine revs way above the governed speed. Only seen one engine runaway and that was in a workshop when a mechanic had...
  4. N

Birmingham buses

I remember the Minimec injection pumps fitted on all our coaches. One day when out on test the rack broke at the end so putting the engine in to max revs and unable to stop. Luckily I was passenger at the time so managed to loosen one of the fuel lines and stop the engine. We made our way...
  5. N

Birmingham buses

Friend of mine worked there then Leyland Motors Oldbury. Not sure which one but when they arrived for work their own clothes were hoisted upto the roof until home time :)
  6. N

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Thank you for your kind words
  7. N

John my heart goes out to you. My walking needs improvement but hopefully when I finish my Immunotherapy cancer treatment things should hopefully return to close on what it used to be. Good luck.
  8. N

One of his successors wasn’t much better, late fifties.
  9. N

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

2, 3, 4, and 5 star. Would be all one pump nowadays if those grades stil existed.
  10. N

Yes I’m sure you’re right, like you I also had one. Went out on a breakdown to Bridgwater mid sixties to one of our coaches broken down on service station forecourt, my mate travelled all the way back to Stockland Green with the plastic tigers head that fitted on top of the petrol pumps globe...
  11. N

Ideal for setting light to
  12. N

This signage would have gone by 1976 as Shell Mex & BP split from each other end of 1975. Their employees and sales were split 60% Shell and 40% BP, initially at the end of June 1975 I was branded BP but Changed to Shell by year end.
  13. N

Kingstanding

I used to go out with a young lady who lived in Sudbury Grove mid sixties, her Father had racing pigeons. Her Uncle had an ice cream van so we used to get free ice cream when he came around.
  14. N

FLIGHT's Coaches

Sorry matelot link doesn’t work.
  15. N

FLIGHT's Coaches

Don’t remember Flights having a car dealership but Stocklands certainly did for Austin both at Short heath road and Stockland green so highly likely Flights had similar.
  16. N

Birmingham buses

A lad I worked with name Mick Harper worked at Tyburn road until probably 1971 when he moved to Shell Mex and BP Kingsbury.
  17. N

Hope I wasn’t there though I was in the 1st year in 1958. Can’t see the politically correct Education Authorities allowing this nowadays.
  18. N

Smithfield Garage

I started at Ryland Garage 1960 for 4 years, Stockland coaches for 3 years, Tommy Baumber but on contract to Esso then Finally Shell Mex & BP/Shell in various locations doing various jobs Retired 1996 at 50. Bedford Vanadium and Britool. Started with the cheaper then finished with Britool. Had...
  19. N

Smithfield Garage

Most main agents like Smithfield had good facilities but you have to remember that many of the smaller garages couldn’t afford to offer such good working conditions as they charged far lower labour rates and still do.
  20. N

Windows 10

Only use my Laptop on Win 10 to update my sat nav so doubt if I’ll upgrade on my 10+ year old machine.