• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Birth Certificate: ‘Occasional Copy: A’

Strange that they are both named Doris though.
  2. A

Yes they are. He went on to marry May in the 1960s. She was actually Betsy's sister. He was living with May in the 1939 register.
  3. A

Got the birth certificate and Doris Joan Callow as born in December 1928 and is the daughter of George and May. She was adopted. How would I find out more about the adoption please. Best wishes Alison
  4. A

Writing up family history

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I hadn't heard of Occam's Razor until I looked it up and it really makes sense. Loved the identification too about making the wrong assumptions. I certainly identify with that :)
  5. A

"PostIts" is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I must say this has knocked my confidence a few times as I have looked at other people's research and doubted my own research only to find that I was right.
  6. A

Thanks for that. I guess I need also to understand some of the geography of Birmingham although I am from there my family come from the Aston, Hockley, Handsworth, town centre going back in time. I need to learn about that too. :)
  7. A

also I hadn't thought about the saving options at all such as PDF etc.
  8. A

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions and such a comprehensive answer. I shall try and do what you have suggested as it would be great to write something up although I need the discipline to do it too and not get distracted by just collecting records. I do try and analyse records but...
  9. A

That's an excellent idea thank you :)
  10. A

Thanks Janice. I've done that in an electronic form but would like to write it up to share with my sisters. I just don't know the best way to share the information with them. I live 200 miles from them.
  11. A

Workhouse, Dudley Road.

Does that mean thy were really poor or was it the only place they could go? The cause is senile debility no P.M.
  12. A

Hi Would anyone have any tips please on how to go about writing up family history. I have collected quite a few records from Ancestry but have no idea how to present the information in a way that makes sense. Do I write a page on each person, each family etc. I have no idea where to start...
  13. A

Workhouse, Dudley Road.

Would the workhouse be listed as 1 Western Road on a death certificate for someone who died in 1925 please. Best wishes Alison
  14. A

Sawdust dealer

Thanks so much Janice. I get really confused with the housing. I seem to think everything is "back to backs" and that a terrace could be at the back of somewhere. It must have been a small scale thing as you say. Best wishes Alison
  15. A

Sawdust dealer

Charlotte Harvey 1939 • 5 16 Kenyon Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, England Marital Status: Widowed Sawdust Dealer (Retired)
  16. A

Sawdust dealer

Thanks Janice. I can't seem to find anything at all so thanks for finding those entries :)
  17. A

Sawdust dealer

living in Kenyon Street.
  18. A

1915 Kelly´s Directory of Birmingham

Thanks Janice and Mike. Sort of thought that might be a reason but really didn't know for sure and haven't got a great knowledge of the streets and roads in town. Really appreciate both of your help. This site is amazing. :)
  19. A

Sawdust dealer

James Callow and Charlotte Harvey or Charlotte Bradley,
  20. A

Sawdust dealer

Hi Would anyone know about Sawdust dealers in Birmingham from 1920's to 1940's please. Best wishes Alison