• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. H

Harborne

Sheila, my grandmother always called it Tenants. I guess it then became Morgan's.
  2. H

Harborne

Murray's fish and chips were something else. Coal fired fryers, chips cut from potatoes one at a time right in front of you and just 3d (1 1/2p) a bag, or 4d if you were well off. Alex Murray had a daughter, Gloria. Often wondered what happened to her. I used to get the Harborne Society...
  3. H

Harborne

If you look up The Picture House' you'll see my description of it as I spent my childhood/teen years there. Hardly a flea pit! The sweet shop was Morgan's, a well stocked little place with a distinctive smell.
  4. H

Harborne

Sorry Brenda, can't say I ever heard of the Venetian Flooring Company. Lorraine, the 'OldHarborne' cinema in Serpentine Road is still there but belongs to the Village Social club. If you type into the search bar 'The Picture House Harborne' it will bring up the Cinema Treasures site. Click on...
  5. H

Harborne

Lorraine, I used to deliver papers for the shop which then was owned by Mr. O'connor. Delivered all along Serpentine Rd. in 1952. The shop had police cells at the back. Was probably the old police station way back.
  6. H

Birmingham Cinemas

Williamstreet, In the 50's I used to cycle past the Ledsam, so decided to visit one Saturday afternoon. I entered to find the film half way through and empty, apart from myself. The echo made the sound unintelligible, but as the locals started to arrive the echo disappeared and dialogue could be...
  7. H

Royalty Cinema Harborne

Looking at the videos of the fire I'd guess it's pretty well a write off. As there had been a previous fire I'd have thought it would have become a priority for security observation. So sad if someone thought it so useless that they'd destroy it. Interesting to see the fire brigade pouring...
  8. H

Harborne

Especially when their cooking range was coal fired. 3d for a bag of chips or a bigger bag for 4d and cod for 7d. Saturday night was film. night. Fry's 4d cream bar, 6d for an ice cream, three hours at the pictures, and change out of 2/- (10p) Can't believe it now, especially as an ice bun...
  9. H

Harborne

Anthony, I too went to Station Road Junior and Senior School and attended St. John's Church till I left in 1957 aged 18. Wonder if our paths ever crossed. I lived directly opposite the Royalty. Just lifted the curtain and saw what was on. My favourite cinema was the old Harborne in Serpentine...
  10. H

Harborne

oldMohawk, Love what you've done to the picture. Well done.
  11. H

Harborne

Lloyd, what a great picture. The above shops dwellings had little altered by the (I guess) middle fifties, and are still recognisable now. My Grandmother used to tell me how, when horsebuses were running, they'd have to get off the upper deck and (in winter) help push the bus up the hill by the...
  12. H

Harborne

What fantastic pictures. How the memories flood back. The ladies were probably looking in Miss Butlers shop. It was all haberdashery and Miss Butler attended St. John's Church. The colour picture seems to show how uninteresting it is now but that seems to be the way of things, or is it that...
  13. H

Harborne

The photo of Morgans shop above (later Tennants) brought back so many memories. They sold a tremendous variety of foreign sweets like Turkish Delight in a funny looking box and perfumed cashews. I loved Keilers Fruit creams and bought them whenever I could afford them. Does anyone remember...
  14. H

Harborne

BrumBum, One of the events I can remember was a midnight hike miles out of Harborne. We arrived in the moonlit countryside and had to make our way across a sloping field. Unfortunately at the bottom were two electricity pylons shorting with sparks and crackling. Everyone was frightened. We...
  15. H

Harborne

Yes, BrumBum, it was the old Ariel hut. I belonged to the 1st Harborne, 17th Birmingham troop. I have my character assessment still!!! I knew of the St. Faith and St. Laurence troop but we never (to my knowledge) met up. Apologies for the delay in reply. For some unknown reason these replies...
  16. H

Harborne

I tried to get in some years ago without success but a later attempt revealed how much it had been changed. On the wall was a framed newspaper photo of the members of the Saturday morning picture club. The children were taken in front of the cinema and I must have been in the picture but...
  17. H

Harborne

Great shame it was lost, Anthea. I often wish I'd picked up things at the time, but they weren't important then. If only I'd taken a picture of the inside of the Old Harborne Picture House, where I practically lived as a kid. Memories are o.k. but nothing like a photo!!
  18. H

Harborne

Thanks Anthea. Apologies for the delay in reply but your message went into something I don't use and only just came across it.
  19. H

Harborne

Tony, what years were you at Station Road Junior? I went there as a Secondary Modern School when Mr. Stanton was the head. My leaving certificate is dated 17.12. 1954. What year did it become a Junior School? Harborne Hill School opened while I was there and some transferred to it including...
  20. H

Harborne

BrumBrum, It was next to the Vine Inn. A right dump of a shop that we used to buy batteries in. Just down from it was Smith's outdoor (my grandmother always called it Trouts) which had a front shop entrance and another alongside with a casement style window servery. God help you if you used...