• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

A House Through Time

It's really interesting, and I also wish the same!
  2. M

Lewis's

That does sound terrifying.
  3. M

Lewis's

Fabulous! All those people wearing hats...and the tea urn was a nice touch, very thoughtful. The lifts jogged my memory as well.
  4. M

CINEMA CORNER OF BORDESLEY GREEN AND CROWN ROAD

I've heard it mentioned by relatives.
  5. M

Crossroads programme

Both eccentric characters - must be something about being a chef!
  6. M

Crossroads programme

Sandor Eles, who played Paul Ross, turned up in an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs (Desirous of Change, 1973) a couple of days ago. He played an Austrian con man, and wasn't recognisable as he had long hair or more probably was wearing a wig.
  7. M

Greys Department Store

Kayser Bonda - a name from the past! A relative worked there in Stevenage or somewhere around there.
  8. M

Stephen Macdonald (1933-2009)

The writer of the play 'Not About Heroes' which is about Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, was brought up and educated in Birmingham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_MacDonald
  9. M

NewStreet Station 1967

It triggered a memory for me too, I think, but it's vague.
  10. M

Rackhams Store

I think my memories start a bit later. Love the plants and cascading water - it must have seemed magical.
  11. M

The Peace Centre

Sorry, meant to say thanks for the photo!
  12. M

The Peace Centre

That looks about right, I think. I wonder what the story is behind its demise.
  13. M

Paul Ready

He plays, among many other parts, the hapless Kevin in 'Motherland.' Wikipedia describes him as from Birmingham, growing up in "the town of Harborne"!
  14. M

Orange juice from the welfare in the 1950s

I think that was the clinic where my sister used to take my nephew. I went with them a couple of times, and seem to remember a rocking horse.
  15. M

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

I had no idea she was ill. Only a few weeks ago (it seems, but perhaps it was longer) she was on Desert Island Discs.
  16. M

Sheldon

Good grief!
  17. M

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

I saw an interesting lecture on the Jewellery Quarter last week, which will probably turn up on the next monthly pass.
  18. M

Sheldon

The teachers sound dreadful.
  19. M

Then & Now

I think it was on a corner, yes, come to think of it.
  20. M

Then & Now

Used to live quite near there. I think it was close to a house that was at one time a wool shop, and at another time an off-license.