• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. devonjim

A House Through Time

Has anyone said that the new 2021 series is about Headingley, Leeds
  2. devonjim

Josiah Parkes & Sons Stirchley

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Josiah_Parkes_and_Sons I remember Parkes in Charlotte Rd., I worked just up the road in Fordhouse Lane. Parkes had connections with Willenhall Locks and Union Locks who supplied lock mechanisms to Wilmot-Breeden. Sorry no pictures.
  3. devonjim

News of help in future to those seeking graves (for C of E)

How it works! https://www.churchofengland.org/media-and-news/press-releases/nationwide-digital-churchyard-mapping-project-begins
  4. devonjim

King Edward's School, New Street

The art master at KEGS Camp Hill in 1950's was an Appleby.
  5. devonjim

Church Road, Yardley.

Welcome! I often marvel how much people's paths cross. I have a friend who now lives in Omokoroa, not a million miles from you, who lived by the Beaufort. A great uncle worked at Wash Lane fire station, my gran had Harding's bread delivered by horse and cart, she lived in Tyseley. I was in Life...
  6. devonjim

News of help in future to those seeking graves (for C of E)

Gave this link a try, basic info was not helpful, but crossing their palm with silver(£10) brought forth a lot of information. Grave location, vicar who performed ceremony, place of death.
  7. devonjim

Ninfield Road Acocks Green

I must have lived just across the railway tracks (North Warwickshire Line) from this group. We had our "own" stirrup pump and the letters "FP" were stencilled discreetly on the front of the house. After the war the stirrup pump was added to the gardening equipment, useful for spraying the roses.
  8. devonjim

In The Garden 2021

Buddleia was truly the butterfly bush yesterday, peacock, red admiral, tortoiseshell, cabbage white all in abundance.
  9. devonjim

In The Garden 2021

Bob, Make the most of it.
  10. devonjim

Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills

Hi, Never lived in this area but, my dad worked in Redhill Rd at CWS Cabinet, it became Carters when Co-op move to Shirley. You mention a family called Mole in the terrace, there was a Frankie Mole who worked at WB in Amington Rd. led a pop group in 1960's and not a bad footballer for a...
  11. devonjim

Hams Hall power station

Did "a weeks work experience" at Hams Hall, guess it must have been July '58. Interview in Moseley, Wake Green Road. Used to have to cycle from Garretts Green. Weather must have been good. Dimly remember taking samples of coal and using a bomb calorimeter and of coolant from the turbines to...
  12. devonjim

Bilberry Hill training centre Association of Boys Clubs

In the early 1960's I was a driver of the BFBC's Land Rover. The vehicle and trailer were stored at Bilberry Hill, after work on a Friday night I would collect the vehicle to take our youth club members to North Wales or Peak District etc. on walking, climbing, camping weekends. Sorry to learn...
  13. devonjim

In The Garden 2021

We put food out each evening for "our" hedgehog. We have caught sight of him/her when he comes early and managed to get a shot on a trail camera other nights when i've bothered to set it up. Well the last few mornings there has been a pebble left in the dish. A sort of "thank you". Who knows...
  14. devonjim

Moseley Road (High) School in the 1920's

Raphael, could this be Moseley School of Art?
  15. devonjim

BigTop

Never knew it was used for anything other than the circus. Can remember being taken there at the time of the photograph. Around that time the circus would also come to Heybarnes recreation ground.
  16. devonjim

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Knew the George in the Tree before it became a Schooner Inn. Belonged to the same company as the Clarendon that was in Temple Row.
  17. devonjim

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Thanks Rob, I lived nearby in early 1940's. I remember Fishers hairdresser, my grand dad took me there, had to sit on a plank across the arms of the chair, he always singed the back of the neck after cutting the hair of his customers. Seems the blacksmith shop that was beyond the "Brit" had gone...
  18. devonjim

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Asking a favour! Someone with a "Kelly's" please. 837, Warwick Rd. or thereabouts, 1947/8 a warehouse was erected in the field that had been on the corner of Tyseley Lane, more or less opposite to the above garage. Who occupied it, what did they do, a picture. Thanks in anticipation. Memory says...
  19. devonjim

Metro Extension to Centenary Square and beyond

I was looking for the previous thread that Astoness started that related how long the Snow Hill to New Street station route took to build. I remember the Queen came to open it and it was still incomplete. "Pretty hopeless" seems quite polite.
  20. devonjim

Cherry Street

Union St.! Strictly speaking Rackhams was built by Harrods but taken over by House of Fraser before it even opened. I have not seen a picture of the Cobden from this angle before.