• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. sospiri

Sparkhill Congregational Church

Many thanks, Janice, it's makes a nice change to see something repaired rather than destroyed. Maurice :cool:
  2. sospiri

DNA tracing biological father

GI Trace is essentially a self-help group with a number of experienced helpers around the world that are known to Sally, who runs the group. No one will ask you for money, unless you were specifically requesting a copy of a document that has to be paid for. Maurice :cool:
  3. sospiri

Jean, Yes, I spotted that and if you have names then by all means go ahead. A lot of people volunteer help on there, including me when it is an area that I can help. Sorry I didn't spot your message earlier, but I wasn't very well yesterday so went to bed early. Maurice :cool:
  4. sospiri

Thomas and Agnes McDonough

In which case, the marriage possibly took place somewhere in Ireland, Janice. There are certainly less of the McDonaghs than I would have expected in relation to the other variants, Nothing either on familysearch, which is supposed to have Irish Civil BMD from 1845 onwards or on Scotland's...
  5. sospiri

Thanks, Jean, I'll ask my partner, to keep an eye open for anything that comes up. Maurice :cool:
  6. sospiri

And that's where we hit a problem because the only child's birth that is spot on is that of Annie:- 3rd Qtr 1883 Annie McDonagh (mother's maiden name MULVIHILL), Aston Reg Dist, Vol 6d Page 248 All the other children are nowhere near, McDONALD or McDONNELL, and with various mother's maiden...
  7. sospiri

Aaron, The 1891 Census of 12 back of 91 Highgate Road shows:- Sarah McDonagh, Wife, Married, 45, No occupation & husband elsewhere, Born in Tamworth Thomas McDonagh, Son, Single, 15, Nail caster, Born in Birmingham Edward McDonagh, Son, Single, 11, Scholar, Born in Birmingham Annie McDonagh...
  8. sospiri

Aaron, Here they are at 59 Springfield Street in 1939. Maurice :)
  9. sospiri

In The Garden 2021

Here's a couple, bit late in the evening with a long lens and an unsteady hand. The first is our older pomegranate bush in flower. My other half only bought it for the flowers, and it will probably get severely pruned this winter. It currently gets about 70 fruit on it. The smaller younger one...
  10. sospiri

jjuj, Your name isn't by any chance Jean, is it - someone with that name filed a new enquiry on GI Trace this morning? Yes, searching does take a long time, particularly in the USA. As for time running out, many of us on here are in our 80s and older, so we're well aware of that! :) Even if...
  11. sospiri

Computer help please.

Smudger, Yes, the memory itself is quite small, it's just the connections and encapsulation that take the space. Maurice :cool:
  12. sospiri

Hobbies 2021

Mort, That's very interesting and unless you need huge rigidity, then it's obviously wise to include as much empty space as you can in order to minimise resin usage. One more question, are you using freeware or paid for software? I like the Sandhills project. Maurice :cool:
  13. sospiri

In The Garden 2021

We're not short of oregano and sage - that grows wild on the hillsides and at certain times of the year a wonderful mixture of herby smells wafts through the air. What we do have difficulty controlling are pellargoniuns, the common bright red ones. Leave an eighth of an inch fo root in the soil...
  14. sospiri

Marriage certificate changes in England

cba, I can't see it changing here in Greece any time soon - the Registrars make great play of the signing ceremonies and love to get their pictures taken. A representative of the Council joins in on the act and gives the couple a gift too. Of course, he has to have his picture taken with the...
  15. sospiri

Lock keeper’s cottages

Brenda, Chester Street Locks - now I believe, from extrapolating from old maps, is "buried" under an industrial building. Lockkeeper was John Baizon - this was in 1881 & 1891. He is also listed as a lockkeeper in 1871 at Primrose Hill, Aston. Not sure whether that is or is not a different lock...
  16. sospiri

Julia Bell is one of the people involved in GI Trace. Maurice :cool:
  17. sospiri

Hobbies 2021

Mort, Intriguing and had I been a few years younger I would certainly have bought one. Not that much more expensive tham my A3 printer. What is the cost of the resin please? Maurice :cool:
  18. sospiri

Lock keeper’s cottages

Looks a very interesting group, Brenda, though I am not a fan of FaceBook. Lots of good pictures too. I must wade through to see if I can find a pic of my relations' lockkeepers cottage, now demolished. Thanks for posting. Maurice :cool:
  19. sospiri

In The Garden 2021

I seem to recollect that ferns like a fairly damp climate, which accounts for why they are not prolific here in Crete. But do you find that they tend to spread, Vic. Maurice :cool:
  20. sospiri

jjuj, Join GI Trace - http://www.gitrace.org/ It's free and my partner is a member because she had evidence that her father had fathered a German daughter whilst decommissioning annunition dumps over there at the end of the war. I also do some work for them from time to time and we've had...