• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Nico

HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

My partner is French and insisted we watched everything about him and the Queen and all her family. I was happy to do so. Her relatives even rang us expressing their condolences. My Sister in Spain told me they all watched the service as did relatives in Canada Australia and New Zealand. My...
  2. Nico

In The Garden 2021

It was like a spring day at last today. The magpie had a standoff with the cat and the bird won. I never saw this happen before. The cat was very vocal. Spot the old nest. I had to hang out of the bedroom window to see it.
  3. Nico

My Nan's sayings

Eenie Meanie Miny Mo Put the babby on the poe I won't continue Nan was very graphic, Throoshin' for straining. Parky for sharp cold, or a sharp wind, like recently. Wants me there. Arl show em! Toad for told, I was toad off. Arm a comin' on a donkey open the gairt an let me in. Nan sang...
  4. Nico

In The Garden 2021

We have the remnants of an ash tree which is now covered in a fungus which I will try and post a picture of later on. Should we just leave it? It is between the nice neighbours and us and they have a little granddaughter. My partner thought it might be poisonous. I thought it might cause more...
  5. Nico

In The Garden 2021

Wally in the well
  6. Nico

In The Garden 2021

And Barny is building a fence parallel to his other one, as he drives in, he must be very insecure.
  7. Nico

In The Garden 2021

We think there are chicks in nests to feed as the tits and sparrows are coming to get spiders round the kitchen windows though they can see that we are there. There are no insects for them though my partner put a wasp out last night. I am feeding more meal worms and crumbled fat balls as well as...
  8. Nico

In The Garden 2021

Just snowed here. Hail forecast. SNow was not though. Tulips coming up very small I keep watering.
  9. Nico

In The Garden 2021

I bought a bag of mixed narcissis can't spell sorry, I was a bit disappointed the daffs were OK I had hoped for some white ones with yellow centres, and jonquils, well I got these triples headed mini jonqils, some insipid daffs too and tete a tetes, and some double things. But they did grow by...
  10. Nico

In The Garden 2021

Audrey Two? It looks like the cuckoo pint we have, wild arum. Or Mother in Law's Tongue?
  11. Nico

In The Garden 2021

Marevellous close ups are they timrous, the beasties?
  12. Nico

In The Garden 2021

We had it too, tiny little balls we thought the plum tree blossom was blowing about, it is but it was snow. And so cold enough to wear Baz's two hairnets. We did some gardening. Have built up the birdbath sides, and stuck the stone birds back. Will let it dry turn it over and finish the bottom...
  13. Nico

In The Garden 2021

We had it too, tiny little balls we thought the plum tree blossom was blowing about, it is but it was snow. And so cold enough to wear Baz's two hairnets. We did some gardening. Have built up the birdbath sides, and stuck the stone birds back. Will let it dry turn it over and finish the bottom...
  14. Nico

In The Garden 2021

It is a natural barrier from Mr Barmy too. Which he hacked last year. But it is growing back. All the cutting we put against the fence have taken, the musk mallow likes it there. The rhubarb, daffs, buddleigha, London Pride, golden rod, nasturtiums, hopefully hollyhock but the un will be limited...
  15. Nico

In The Garden 2021

Where's Wally?
  16. Nico

In The Garden 2021

It reminded me of an excerpt from Mary Webb's novel Gone To Earth. Hazel the protagonist takes in anything, including bees she keeps in a box by the fire.
  17. Nico

In The Garden 2021

That reminds me we will have to get Brian the snail out, he gets rusty, and the frogs. I left the bird bath out too long last winter and it has cracked in pieces though I repair it every year. It has changed shape and colour over the years. The 2 little stone birds are completely off now. I...
  18. Nico

In The Garden 2021

The Easter Rat
  19. Nico

In The Garden 2021

My friend says it's a pet rat escapee gone wild, by the colour of it.
  20. Nico

In The Garden 2021

A big rat again in the garden about 6pm today coming under the neighbour's rubbish, under the fence to our side, it was almost white with some brown patches. Partly albino or a cross breed? At first I thought it was someone's guinea pig, the same size as as one, not that agile I suspect it...