• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

FRED BARNES

Thank you for finding these cuttings. What an interesting character he was.
  2. C

FRED BARNES

Thank you so much for finding these links it is really interesting. As I was only a child my Nan didn't give me the full story of who he really was!
  3. C

FRED BARNES

Whilst searching through some family papers I came across a piece of very old sheet music of Sally The Sunshine of our Alley sung by Fred Barnes. No 1391 priced at 6d. I know that my Grandmother, who was a few years younger than Freddie, as she called him, was a fan because she had talked about...
  4. C

Group photos

The bridesmaids don't look to happy! The little one looks as if she really doesn't want to be there!
  5. C

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories

oh for a tankard of best ?
  6. C

St Thomas of Canterbury school Erdington, 1963

My cousin Colin Murphy did
  7. C

Covid vaccination process

Do you have to wear it when you go on holiday?
  8. C

Census 2021

How are people in his situation, without daughters and sons who are able to help, meant to fulfil this legal requirement?
  9. C

Census 2021

We were sent a code for filling in on line. If we wanted a paper copy we would need to ring or go to the website!
  10. C

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Thank you for the photo. It brings back many happy memories. Carolann
  11. C

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I do hope so. I spent many happy hours in there when I was a student at the college in the late 60s
  12. C

Mother and Baby home Moseley

It is very unlikely that you will be able to undertake this research on your Mother's behalf. She will need to go through the children's services of the area that organised her adoption. It will include an interview with a designated social worker who will then try to locate her adoption papers...
  13. C

Occupations - Disappeared

I have vague memories of the knife grinder on his bike coming round to Rectory Rd in Sutton Coldfield when I was a child in the 1950s
  14. C

Holidays at home and days out

Yes They are now collectable art pieces. Many were commissioned from well known artists. They are lovely.
  15. C

Holidays at home and days out

We have two holiday lets in the centre of Stratford and are really missing going there. I was born there and we married there 20 years ago today. It will be the first year we have not been able to spend our anniversary there. Still we started the day off with a bucks fizz and a walk and will...
  16. C

'Out work'

Avoncroft buildings museum in Bromsgrove also has some chain making and nail making buildings that have been moved to there and reconstructed. A fascinating open air museum.
  17. C

Records or Music You Thought You Didn't Like

I remember liking music in my younger days that I kept to myself because it wasn't popular with my contemporaries at the time. The older I got the more confident I became of admitting to and sharing my music choices,which have always been and still are eclectic. An example of what I am talking...
  18. C

Records or Music You Thought You Didn't Like

I always loved Leonard Cohen right back to the 60s I saw him in concert a few times over the years including his last tour in his eighties. A wonderful performer always performed with really accomplished musicians and backing singers. I loved his self deprecation and appreciation of his audience.
  19. C

Both our letters arrived in the post on the same day as we were contacted by our surgery.
  20. C

My husband, who is almost 69, was called yesterday. His appointment is at Hertford theatre tomorrow.