• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Have just received a text message claiming to be from Lloyds telling me that an unknown device had been paired with my account and that if it was not me then I should contact a web address. I do not have a Lloyds account. I then looked at the link address which ended in .me. The Me domain allows...
  2. D

Davenports

I have just come across this thread having made a reference to Davenports on another thread so I am posting this link. http://www.davenports.co.uk/about-us/vintage-tv-ads/ I apologise if this link has been given before as i said I have just come across it. If you go to the link you will find...
  3. D

Air raid shelters

Yes there is a part 2 but very difficult to find. I have not watched that yet but I thought it would be easy to find as I was offered it immediately after watching the first part. If you go to http://www.davenports.co.uk/about-us/vintage-tv-ads/ you will find several of the old cinema/TV ads and...
  4. D

Air raid shelters

Have just been watching an old film about the history of Davenports Brewery It covers the story of the time in WWII showing the practice evacuations to the air raid shelter. It said that 4-500 people sheltered there at night and that there was a first aid post open day and night staffed by...
  5. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Many thanks Viv, I am passing that information on to my friend.
  6. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Viv Do you have any information about the location of Lloyds Bank at that time. A friend of mine has an old cheque drawn on Lloyds Bank Ann Street Birmingham and we were wondering if it was at the location next to Eden Place which became Lloyds Bank Colmore Row. David
  7. D

Elmdon Airport

I flew from the old terminal a few times in the 1970s and early 1980s but most of my international flights in those days I made by driving to Heathrow. The new terminal openned in 1984 and since then all my flights have been from Birmingham except for a couple from Gatwick.
  8. D

Elmdon Airport

I think the aircraft would have been owned by Railway Air Services, a joint operation by the big four railway companies and Imperial Airways. You were actually advised to send your luggage by the railways Lugage in Advance service.
  9. D

Telephone Service in Birmingham

I have checked the Birmingham Library Catalogue and there are 2 copies in the Reference Library. A history of the Birmingham telephone area Tupling, R. E.1978
  10. D

City Centre Photographs

Fox furs lasted until the 1950s and when I was clearing the house of a great aunt, I found one. To me as a child I thought they were horible as some had the legs dangling down.
  11. D

Temple Row

I knew of the old connection between Rackhams and Wilkinson & Riddell but I did not know that they were on adjacent sites. I knew Wilkinson & Riddell in Cornwall Street as my mother had an account there. It would be only a few years later that they moved again to Priory Queensway where their...
  12. D

My Nan's sayings

One of the Poirot TV programmes featured Poirot being mistaken for Lobby Lud, although they may have used a different name.
  13. D

Midlands Electricity Board MEB

Following on from the posts about what happend to MEB. This is the latest in the saga. Copied from The Business Desk, a news website. (I did a copy and paste so the spelling is not my responsibility.) Warwick-based National Grid is set to buy Western Power, the UK’s largest electricity...
  14. D

My Nan's sayings

I have known two men called Peter yet neither of them had Peter among their names.
  15. D

My Nan's sayings

Dead Eye Dick was a character in the poem Eskimo Nell which A P Herbert, the writer and MP, always denied that he wrote.
  16. D

My Nan's sayings

Did you know that Mary Jane in Spanish is Maria Juana which became a slang term for canabis.
  17. D

NewStreet Station 1967

Thanks. Yes it was Red Star I was dealing with. I used them when I had to send parcels between our London and Birmingham 0ffices back in the 1970s
  18. D

My Nan's sayings

Truck is a word I have heard many times. I think, but I cannot say authroitively, that it has the same meaning as is used in the laws know as the Truck Acts. These laws forbid the payment of wages to workers other than in cash. This was because many employers were paying in goods such as food or...
  19. D

NewStreet Station 1967

I don't remember that block of offices in the centre of the Midland Station and it was only in seeing photos of the demolition work that I know about them. I remember driving into a parcels bay off Station Street to collect and send parcels which wasnext to platform 12 in the 1960s station.
  20. D

City Centre Photographs

Could be that Sue learned to drive and objected to being called Ken.