• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Banjo

In The Garden 2021

First flowers to bloom in my garden. At this particular time these little chaps are most welcome and I know that the winter is coming to an end.
  2. Banjo

Decimalisation In 1971

I was working on the 58-60 buses the day we went decimal. On the day before it cost 1/1d from the Wheatsheaf to town. On D-Day it was set at 5.5P but, the number of people who offered me 13P ( incorrectly assuming 13P equals 1/1d ) was unbelievable. I had to explain that 13P was in fact 2/8d! I...
  3. Banjo

Park Lane...Aston

If acceptable, here is two familiar photos on the website I've merged for a panorama shot of Potters Lane/Park Lane but without that annoying "GIVE WAY" sign.
  4. Banjo

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Great to see this photo. Kings is where I bought my Wife's engagement ring in December 1964
  5. Banjo

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

What a great thread STEVEBHx. A couple of months ago I was going to post in the corner shop thread a memory of this building that used to be a shop. It's on the corner of Bordesley Green & Imperial Road. In the late 60s when I was working on the 53 & 54 buses, we used to stop at this shop to get...
  6. Banjo

Charles Winn (valves) Ltd

Nice to get some 1960s info from John Wharton and that debbpic got some answers. As previously said, I only started in 1974 so would not recognise any of those names (apart from Roy Hattersley).
  7. Banjo

Clifton Road School Sparkbrook

I don't think so Nahm, in fact I don't remember having any sports while I was there. Only exercise we had was P.E in the hall & running around in the playground.
  8. Banjo

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

Al Bowlly all day long.
  9. Banjo

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

Love 20s 30s music. I remember The Temperance Seven had a hit in 1961 with Pasadena. I've been to see Brandyn Shaw many times because he does a great Al Bowlly act.
  10. Banjo

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

For some reason I knew those as spanish sticks.
  11. Banjo

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

I'm waiting for my 1st jab. My phone always shows "number withheld" when I have a Doctor's/Hospital call so I always answer those. Strangely, so does my Sister's calls and she says she doesn't know why. The 11 digit calls that show I always ignore unless they respond to the answerphone and I...
  12. Banjo

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Had a recorded scam yesterday. "armet??? is going to be deduct [sic] by tomorrow from your account. Please press 1 if you have any queries" Needless to say I didn't press 1 and that number has now been blocked. I found a website a couple of months ago: Who Called Me? ( who-called.co.uk ). You...
  13. Banjo

Help With Locating An Image Please

Just to underwrite this thread, I think oldMohawk was right with his blue spot (#7). If RobT doesn't mind me using his map, I would like to point out that the red arrow is where I think the photo #1 was taken from. Although I don't remember that building as Charles Winn premises, the building on...
  14. Banjo

Fifties Food

Just came across this very short thread "Fifties Food" from 2012. Had a good chuckle to post #6. Some of the foods I remember eating in the early 50s which makes me wince now was sugar sprinkled on bread & margarine, lard (not dripping) spread on dry bread, eating pomegranates with a pin...
  15. Banjo

Long gone shops

Any electronic/radio parts I needed would usually be bought from Hurst St. There were quite a few shops up there but, I can't recall any names.
  16. Banjo

Birmingham Cinemas

This is where the Victoria Playhouse stood together with the Park Rd junction.
  17. Banjo

Birmingham Cinemas

I know this photo is on another thread but, this was the beautifully ornate Victoria Playhouse cinema in Victoria Rd close to the Park Rd junction.
  18. Banjo

Long gone shops

I remember the Home & Colonial shop on Ladypool Rd in the mid 1950s. Also Lesly's watch shop in Steelhouse Lane where I bought my first watch for 9/11d in 1961. They later moved to Martineau St opposite Henry's.
  19. Banjo

Clifton Road School Sparkbrook

I've just come across this thread. I was there in 1954-57 and can only remember Mr White who, besides other things, taught us all about the Kon-Tiki expedition of 1947. Also seem to remember a metal cage at the top of the stairs crammed with various sizes of plimsolls. We had to pick a pair from...
  20. Banjo

Nechells

Lyn, I think that your photo is of a cafe on the corner of Cuckoo Rd & Argyle St.