• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

A Strange Coincidence - Two trees, two graves and a missing mobile phone! Surname Hockley

If there were no bodies in the two graves, they could certainly be memorial graves as you suggest and which explains why the trees were planted in the middle.
  2. G

Children of William Foden

Super detective work Peter and quick with it!
  3. G

What about these: Linnaeus James Middleton 1882 son of Mary & William Middleton1856 Aston Linnaeus Middleton 1867 son of Emma Cutler & William Middleton 1831 aston Linnaeus Middleton 1893-1916 son of Linnaeus 1867 Linnaeus William Cutler1897 son of Linnaeus Charles 1875
  4. G

It could certainly have been adopted from Carl Linnaeus 1707-1778, as his work was well known in Europe; Have you made any research into when it was introduced into the Birmingham region, and found perhaps the earliest mention of it in the Erdington area? May have been thru the Cutlers - who knows?
  5. G

Where do you fit in Peter? Who is your direct line ?
  6. G

Quite agree Peter W Middleton !
  7. G

Rose Cottage - Help Please.

Has any of the info on this thread been useful to Lady Penelope ?
  8. G

Yeah ! and staying in line with the thread Viv ... (McDonalds buildings !):D
  9. G

Jane apparently remained single all her life ! Her father was a wheelwright, born Huddlesford, Lichfield. Her widowed brother Francis, who lives with her in 1881, was in 1861, a farmer of 60 acres in Whittingham, district Lichfield, employing 1 man & 1 boy. in 1891, He is a retired...
  10. G

Further investigation on Jane Chamberlain shows her in 1881 census at Bell Lane, Aston. She is single, b1827 staffs, and describes herself as a Director of Cottages. This seems to be the right Jane, but could buildings in Bell Lane, Aston, later become Fodens Bldgs New Oscott ? Does anyone...
  11. G

ROSE COTTAGE Rose Cottage, Erdington, 5 rooms ground floor, five sleeping rooms, vinery, greenhouses ... near Railway station Birmingham Daily post 6-9-1865 Joseph Burton, Landscape gardener, Rose Cottage, Birmingham Daily Gazette 15-5-1868 Seed shop + greenhouse to let, with cottage & large...
  12. G

Yes Pedrocut, It could certainly have been a row of cottages belonging to the nearest farm and destined for their farm workers. In that case we would have to know which was the farm and who was the tenant. I tried to find something on Miss Jane Chamberlain who used the address Fodens Bldgs in...
  13. G

More guessing : There seems to be newspaper articles advertising the sale of buildings thru Miss Jane Chamberlain, Fodens Bldgs, Erdington in the 1870's, so business was carried out from that address. In 1905, Thomas Clayton, spring fitter of Fodens Blgds, New Oscott, is charged with cruelty...
  14. G

I'm guessing the flower shows took place there. The Fodens were farmers and market gardeners. I don't know who the buildings belonged to though or what the address is.
  15. G

I think I've pinned down : 1908-1924 is George Frederick (1863-1927) of Gainsborough Hill Farm 1915 is Isaac of Perry Barr Common Farm (1911-1923) I don't know enough about the others ...
  16. G

Sutton Park

I'm not French but live in France, here's what I think about the Google version. It may not be perfect but it's not bad at all, and you get the gist of the meaning very well. Free Grammar school however, should perhaps rather be translated as : un collège public.
  17. G

Sutton Park

Blotted my copy book in other ways ... :cold_sweat:
  18. G

Sutton Park

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you knew how to read & write it meant you had received instruction, and probably knew at least French as another language! Even now, not everyone gets that far.
  19. G

Sutton Park

I found both of the above words in the Chambers Dictionary. Depasturising - depasture : to put to pasture (graze). Salubrity or salubriousness : health-giving, pleasant They knew how to write "learned" english in those days. I'm amazed at the good grammar seen in the newspapers of then...
  20. G

College Farm 1870

Killim 1 : Do you mean the actual College farm building still stands ? If so, I would love to see a photo of it as it is now !