• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. db84124

Lickey Hills

Taken from a magazine called "The Village" , the July/August 2020 edition, Page 19. https://issuu.com/thevillage2/docs/village_july-aug_2020
  2. db84124

Bordesley green

Oh! So you must have seen/met him on a number of occasions ... lucky you! D.
  3. db84124

Bordesley green

Hello, Lynn, I'm deeply saddened to learn that you've lost your Mum. You've sent me such a lovely, detailed reply that I'd like your permission it publish it on our FB page. Having such a strong connection with the school, I wonder if you'd be interested in giving it a look. It's called...
  4. db84124

Bordesley green

Hello there Imr3103, I was at Bordesley Green Tech between September 1959 and July 1966. The attached photo I've taken from the 1964 official school panoramic photograph. Is your Mum one of these two dinner ladies? Can you name the other lady? As I run a Facebook page based on The Tech, would...
  5. db84124

Steam Locos

There's a tremendous mix-up here! The first two models are based on GWR Castle class locomotives and are similar. Their curved steampipes can be clearly seen. The third model has a straight steampipe, which was so in Hall, Manor, County, Grange and other GWR classes of engine. All three carry...
  6. db84124

Steam Locos

In the Harry Potter films the locomotive carries the nameboard "Hogwarts Castle", it's true ... but, as Radiorails says above, the actual engine is a Great Western Railway Hall class locomotive. mw0njm, if you look at the steampipe on your model, it's curved. This is a characteristic of Kings...
  7. db84124

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

It was called Redhill United, David.
  8. db84124

Bordesley Green Primary School / Bordesley Green Council School

An interesting addition to the thread, Vivienne, thank you. But the date seems to carry the year 1914, a year in which November 21st was a Saturday! Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School was opened in September 1937 as Bordesley Green Junior Technical School. I can only assume that your...
  9. db84124

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Perhaps not the correct thread for this photo but here's a photograph of Yardley Church R.F.C. taken during the 1967-68 season, as Trevor says, at The Oaklands recreation ground. The changing rooms were to be burnt down several years later. During that season, our preferred pub was The Ring o'...
  10. db84124

Steam Locos

Fascinating, absolutely fascinating! I first noticed this difference from photographs over sixty years ago ... but had never come across an explanation. (Up to the mid-'60s L.M.S 4-6-2 (not 4-6-0; Coronation class engines were Pacific-type locos) CORONATION class locomotives were never seen at...
  11. db84124

Does anyone know which street this airplane body is being transported in?

Re: Does anyone know which street this aircraft fuselage is being transported in? Dave is right. The company H. H. Bushell & Co. Ltd. - which was classified as "general merchants" - had premises at 46/52 Brearley Street and a warehouse at 31/45 Brearley Street, Birmingham 19 certainly up to 1966.
  12. db84124

Bordesley green

There is also a Facebook page for former pupils of Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School. Be very careful to insert the "Boys' Technical School" part of the name into the FB search facility as there are seven FB pages dedicated to The Tech, all of which are empty except the Bordesley Green...
  13. db84124

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Hello again, Chris, I'd like to take you up on your second challenge. Is the captain Geoffrey Paddison? Geoffrey was probably better known to most people as the opera singer David Hughes (born 11 October 1929 – 19 October 1972), the Birmingham-born (Bournbrook) tenor with Welsh forefathers. Am I...
  14. db84124

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Hello there, Old Boy, I went to Bordesley Green Tech and I think I recognise the officer in the photo you posted. Is it Mr E.C.E. "Eric" Lunn? I have done a fair amount of research into my former school and have come across Mr Lunn in the official school photographs of 1949, 1961 and 1964. Here...
  15. db84124

The City of Birmingham - 46235

And a third academic point: there's another mistake in the opening sentence of the link in Post #32 which seems to have been overlooked. It says: "Ex-LMS 7P 4-6-0 Princess Coronation class No 46257 'City of Salford' is seen standing ...... ". Harbornite76 refers to the "City of Birmingham" as "a...
  16. db84124

Science Museum Newhall Street

In post #15, Wendy has posted two magnificent photographs by Ian Pitcher. The second is of a bottle-making machine which failed to find itself space at Thinktank. These notes are from the minutes of a meeting of the City Council on 1st April 2003. Councillor John Hood to the Cabinet Member for...
  17. db84124

Science Museum Newhall Street

Although it didn't roll up and down a short length of track like the “City of Birmingham”, in the late 'fifties there was another steam locomotive at Newhall Street. It was called "Leonard". It had spent its working life at the Minworth sewage treatment works near Birmingham. After its having...
  18. db84124

Baseball in birmingham

...... and they definitely played at the Ritz until at least 1958, possibly 1960.
  19. db84124

Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green

Thank you, Nick, that is exactly what I was after! David, I dream about an empty pint glass, a generous half of mild and a Nut Brown to pour in yourself! Then another, and then another ...... :friendly_wink: D.